Connecting but not sharing.

Justin Thyme 07:16 08 Dec 07

I have three machines (1*XP, 1*vista, 1*ME) which connect to the internet via a Linksys wireless router without any problem.

BUT

I cannot get any of them to see each other, let alone share files. I seem to have all accesses set for sharing but nothing ~ even if I put the firewalls of they are not visible. Could it be a router setting ?

BurrWalnut 08:41 08 Dec 07

Have you put them in the same workgroup, Vista has a different default name?

Make sure you have identical user accounts and passwords on all machines in the workgroup.

If you are sharing with a Vista machine, you may need to install this on the XP machine click here

Kemistri 15:55 08 Dec 07

The second point is not necessary.

BurrWalnut 16:12 08 Dec 07

If an account has a password on one machine the account/password must be the same on the other.

Kemistri 17:45 08 Dec 07

Rubbish. In all the networks with which I have worked, I never *needed* to do that. My current home network of three clients has different user accounts, with different passwords, and a mix of Home and Pro - no issues at all.

chapeau 17:57 08 Dec 07

I had a similar problem and after going around and around in circles it proved to be some form of firewall problem (Norton), and a need for passwords.

chapeau 17:58 08 Dec 07

I had a similar problem and after going around and around in circles it proved to be some form of firewall problem (Norton), and a need for passwords.

Justin Thyme 19:27 08 Dec 07

I have set them up with the same workgroup.

I was wondering if there was a router setting either in terms of network configuration or sharing?

MAJ 19:55 08 Dec 07

In the Linksys router's configuration page (192.168.1.1), click on the "Wireless" tab and in the "Wireless Access" section, make sure the "Allow All" option is ticked.

Justin Thyme 20:36 08 Dec 07

I have a WRT54G and my configuration page is obviously slightly different from yours in that I don't have a "Wireless Access" section. However I seem to have everything enabled and the PCs can see in/out just not 'across' the network.

I notice that my router software build is a little old ( v2.02.7, Feb. 27, 2004 ), is it worth updating or is that a red herring? I don't want to change one problem for another by updating it !!!

Kemistri 20:59 08 Dec 07

Yes, it might well be worth an update - not particularly likely to fix your problem, but usually worth doing after that length of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac