Connecting a new computer to an old computer

livewire 11:45 05 Apr 04

Hi All!

I was wondering if you could help me again?

I have just brought my self an Rj45 cable to connect my new laptop to an old computer. I knew it would work beccuase the very helpful sales assistant said so, but als when i got home I plugged the cable into my laptop with success. However when I tried to connect it to my old computer- the cable did not fit! Closer inspection reealed that the symbol on each connector was different my Laptop had two symbols. One with a network symbol with one computer branching out into two more and the other to be a telephone icon/square like icon.
The old computer only had 2 telephone/square like symbols.

Lost already?- I know I am!

If you were able to understand all the garble above could you please direct how I could perhaps these two computers?

Many Thanks

Live Wire

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:50 05 Apr 04

Does the old pc have a Lan slot? i think this is what you need.

Regards.

SANTOS7 11:52 05 Apr 04

click here this might be what your looking for [email protected]

livewire 11:58 05 Apr 04

Thanks for the link Santos, but unfortunetly I dont have any spare serial ports. :(

IS there any other conversion I could use?

My Laptop Has an SIS 900-Based PCI fast ethernet adapter.

While my Desktop Pc Has- A Communication cable between two computers (as Device manager reports?)

livewire 11:59 05 Apr 04

Also my Laptop also has a 1394 Net Adapter

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:04 05 Apr 04

There are add on cards you can get but again the old mobo has to support them pci ones might work

click here

Regards.

livewire 12:06 05 Apr 04

At

User: Generic

I Have stored some screenshots if they are any use.

Thanks for you help so far!

livewire 12:09 05 Apr 04

Thanks Nickname!

Is this the Item of which I would need?
click here

Also the address above was

click here

Thanks!

livewire 12:18 05 Apr 04

Thanks, I have just contacted my local PC World store to confirm the adapter you suggested Nickname- They said they currently have the item in stock and I will head down to Pc World some time this week.

Thanks For all your support!

Live Wire!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:31 05 Apr 04

The link you supplied gives a timed out ftp folder error have you linked it to the web or your pc,lol.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…