connecting a networked computer to the net

mrjuice1 20:47 05 Sep 05

i have a desk top with an aol broard band conection and a laptop rigged up to it through network cards and a cross over cable, but i cant connect to the net on the laptop, i have run the network wizard on boath. i know that aol is a pig to network but i,explorer should work, shouldnt it? file and printer sharing work fine by the way.

LastChip 21:50 05 Sep 05

Have you a firewall stopping the connection?

If all else fails, click here and download Proxy. Load it on the connected Internet machine and then follow the instructions to configure your laptop to find Proxy.

mrjuice1 21:58 05 Sep 05

i have microsoft firewall but i have slected the option on the conection (share with network users), how would i know if the firewall is stoping it?

LastChip 22:14 05 Sep 05

Turn it off and see.

I wouldn't recommend leaving it off, but for the purposes of diagnosis, you haven't much choice.

mrjuice1 22:20 05 Sep 05

no joy im afriad, woulndnt proxy already be configured if i can share files i alsoe have a computer game that works fine networked on them, do you have any other ideas

LastChip 22:25 05 Sep 05

The link I gave you should solve the problem. AOL uses proprietary code that is often an issue. Proxy solves that problem.

mrjuice1 22:39 05 Sep 05

hi, i have downloaded proxy, but its a bit confusing could you tell me how to use it pleas

LastChip 23:18 05 Sep 05

Have you installed it on your Internet connected machine?

Which browser(s) are you using on each machine to access the Internet - are they AOL's own?

Have you read the Readme file that comes with Proxy?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…