Connecting my new laptop to my pc's internet....

boojwah 09:39 18 Aug 06

I brought a wireless G Router ages ago for my last laptop (apple i book). I didnt use it to connect to the internet in the end as I'm not very technical minded and got very confused.

I have brought a new laptop and I wanted to use the Belkin router to connect my laptop to my home pc's internet.

I am having problems setting up the router on my home pc and also setting up my new laptop to connect to my home computers internet (Wanadoo)
I followed the instrutions but can't seem to do either of them.

My laptop is wireless enabled apparantly.

I believe the router has a modem in it.
We have been using a small modem that wanadoo gave us. It is not dial up internet as such. It's broadband that you have to press the connect button and it connects instantly.
Would it make a difference connecting with a different modem to the one my isp gave me?

I am really unsure of what to do and it's very anoying as I need the internet on my laptop by this evening.

Someone please reply asap as its really anoying me!

FelixTCat 10:12 18 Aug 06

boojwah,

The process is quite straightforward if you follow it logically. The first thing you MUST do is get out the router's instructions and read them. They will tell you the default IP address of the router, whether it has a modem and how to set it up.

The first thing to do is remove the Wanadoo modem from your main pc, then connect the router to the telephone line and to your main pc by ethernet cable.

Power up the router and type its IP address (something like 192.168.1.1) into your browser's address bar. Then use the default username and password (from the instructions) to enter the router's setup pages. Put in the username and password given to you by Wanadoo in the adsl setup page.

When complete, save the settings as required by the instructions and try to surf the internet. If you can, enter the router's setup pages and change the router's default username and password AND MAKE A NOTE OF THE NEW ONES.

Now make sure that the wireless facility of the router is switched on and change the default SSID to one you will remember - the instructions will tell you how. Switch on your laptop and enable its wireless adapter. The adapter will search for a wireless network and attempt to log on. It will automatically be given an IP address and you will be able to surf the internet.

If there is a problem, disable your pc's firewall and try again. If it now works, then set the firewall to allow the IP range of your network.

Once everything is up and running, you may wish to encrypt the wireless network. Again, your router's instructions will tell you how. Use WPA if both your router and your laptop will support it.

Any problems, come back again.

Regards,

Felix

katebush 11:21 18 Aug 06

I'd recommend you first reset the router and make sure that your PCs are configured to get IP and DNS automatically (it is simple to verify that without understanding what these are).

Check here for step-by-step instructions(+background information if you are interested)

click here

boojwah 11:26 18 Aug 06

Thank you, i'll have a go..

Just one more question (sorry for being so stupid) When a laptop is wireless enabled...does that mean there is a card already installed?

ade.h 15:28 18 Aug 06

Yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017