Connecting Modem Wire Causes Phones to ring

poogles_uk 20:43 03 May 04

When i connect my modem wire to the phone socket, it causes a phones to ring. There are 3 connected to the same line, and if you remove the cable of the ringing one another one will ring. I had this problem before and it was solved by changing the cable, i have recently changed it and have had no problem, on the other pc or the laptop it is fine, on this machine with another cable it is also fine. Any ideas what it is?

Mikè 20:47 03 May 04

There are 2 types of cable one has crossed over connections.

poogles_uk 20:52 03 May 04

It works fine on other machines, and had worked fine on this machine before, this is a rj11 cable for normal dial up not RJ45

poogles_uk 13:04 10 May 04

Ok, my other desktop it does this, but on my dads latptop it hasnt happened? Would you reeccommend changing the wire?

Graham ® 13:11 10 May 04

There is a reversal somewhere. You will have to remove the front plate of each socket and check the colours of the wires on pins 2 and 3. Pin 2 is normally Blue with White rings, Pin 3 Orange with White rings.

The colour is not important, but all pin 2s should be connected together, same with pin 3s.

johnlecarre 13:20 10 May 04

Agree that the 'phone sockets are probably not all wired the same. Check that each extension socket has same colour wire to connections 2 and 5 (the line,usually bluewhite/whiteblue) and 3 for the ringer(usually orange).Same goes for connections at the removable plate on your master socket. If still problems remove the plate off master socket then undo the exposed two screws and you will find two wires connected to screw-down terminals, this is the main line in and may be reversed, disconnect and swop polarity.

Graham ® 13:38 10 May 04

I stand corrected, brain not in gear today! Pins 2 and 5 are the ones to check. However, reversing the main line will not do anything.

poogles_uk 13:43 10 May 04

What is the use? It works fine on other cables. I will just replace the cable!!! Why bother unscrewing all the sockets??

Graham ® 13:52 10 May 04

You asked what it was, this is a symptom of a reversal between two sockets. Buy a new cable by all means.

poogles_uk 14:02 10 May 04

Im not buying one. But why with some cables is there this problem? But when you connect it stops

Graham ® 14:23 10 May 04

Some cables will have the ring circuit (pin 3) connected through. This will connect to the 'wrong' line connector in the modem, completing the ring circuit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…