Connecting Linksys Wireless router 2 internet HELP

gyalsns19 14:42 31 Dec 06

I am having trouble connecting a Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 wireless-B Broadband router to the internet. I have a Huawei SmartAX MT882 ADSL modem (wired) provided by the ISP and I want to connect a wireless Linksys router to have wireless networking. So far I have been able to connect to the router via 192.168.1.1 and change the required bit including WEP but it doesnt let me connect to the internet.

I have used Linksys ADSL wireless modem routers in the past but this router seems to be a bit different to those. Can someone help me?

mgmcc 21:56 31 Dec 06

Unless the ADSL modem you have (presumably an ethernet modem) is capable of connecting to the ISP automatically when powered on, and without you having to run a "dialup" session from the PC, I suspect you will be unable to use the Linksys router with it.

The reason why it is usually necessary to use a *combined* router and ADSL modem is that, in the UK, ADSL uses PPPoA protocol (PPP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode) whereas stand-alone "Cable/DSL" routers only support PPPoE protocol (PPP over Ethernet). In countries such as the US which use PPPoE for their DSL, this isn't a problem, but in the UK it is :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…