connecting LCD via DVI-DtoHDMI cable

peasepud 06:13 25 Sep 07

Help!!!!

I have recently purchased an Acer L320 PC and a Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV, I did connect the two together using the standard monitor cable which worked fine however I was having problems linking speakers upto the PC.

Someone in Maplins then told me I needed a HDMI cable to get the sound via the TV so sold me a DVI-D to HDMI cable which I connected,

first - it took me 20 minutes to get a viewable resolution, even now though the edges are off the screen (see screenshot below).

second - I still cant get any sound, on reading up on the cables I find no mention of audio through them so feel Ive been sold a dud!

third - the televisions external input display doesnt go from the top corner when Im on HDMI input, this is extremely irritating to say the least (see screenshot below).
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

So...I decided to go back to the VGA cable, switched off the PC, unplugged the cable, plugged in the VGA and restarted and flicked the TV onto PC input, I get the Windows startup screen but then it goes blank and the TV shows "Out of range". This happens now every time the VGA is plugged in. Plug in the HDMI and I get the desktop appearing.

Ive tried all the settings I can think of, both in Control Panel and Media Centre but nothing. Ive searched google but nowt!

All I want to do is display my PC through the TV, I managed it before using VGA so why cant I now? I want to take the DVI cable back because I was sold it on the basis it did audio but I cant until I get the VGA cable working again :(

Please please help before I go absolutely mental!!!!

ambra4 12:37 25 Sep 07

Take a read it would help to understand DVI & HDMI

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac