Connecting laptop to TV

davidsutton25 11:46 26 Feb 08

Hello

I am trying to connect my laptop (Acer Travelmate 4150) to my new HD TV but having loads of trouble.

My laptop has VGA and 7 pin s-video, and I have tried cables from s-video to SCART and VGA to composite but neither works. My TV has RGB, SCART, 4 pin s-video and HDMI.

If anyone has any tips I'd be really grateful...I'm at my wits end!!

Thanks,

David

ambra4 12:37 26 Feb 08

Once you have connected the VGA cable to the TV you now have to set up the laptop to access the external display

Using the “FN” key (Function) and the “CRT/LCD” key look at the top of keyboard “F” keys

Hold down the FN key and press the CRT/LCD key once

Display will change as follows

Press once laptop display only

Press again external display only

Press again both laptop and external display

You must hold down the FN key each time you press the CRT/LCD key

Using the TV remote control input button you will need to change the input connection on the TV from the normal TV to the PC input

Most present day TV provides Plug and Play capability, meaning that the TV’s adjusts automatically to the PC settings.

davidsutton25 12:40 26 Feb 08

Thanks

I have tried using the nVidia display settigs to output to TV but still I'm not getting anything...I think it's something to do with the graphics card or the cables I am using...is there any software/hardware you can get to 'wizard' the connection for a particular setup?

Thanks,

David

BRUNOBEN 00:14 01 Mar 08

Hi davidsutton25,I have my laptop connected to the tv by vga lead and it was no probs setting up.First connect the 15 pin male to male to lap and tv then, and only then, turn on the pc and wait for it to boot up, in the meantime turn your tv on to pc and thats it enjoy!regards Paul.

davidsutton25 09:32 01 Mar 08

Thanks Brunoben
I have tried that but it doesn't work - my TV doesn't have a VGA input socket, but I have tried it on a TV that does and it works fine.

Do I need to tell the graphics card that I'm using VGA to component, or s-video to SCART cable? My s-video has 7 pin not 4 also!

Thanks,

ambra4 10:40 01 Mar 08

The 4-Pins on the S-Video Cable will happily slot into a S-Video 7-Pin Socket on a

TV-OUT (The other 3 pins do not carry S-Video information).

click here

If your Socket does not have a hole for a Lug then please use a small screwdriver and

gently lever the Black Locating Lug off the Connector on the Cable

Connect up the S-Video Cable before powering on the Computer so that it can detect the Television

To find the S-Video (SVHS) Picture on the Television try pressing the

Source/Input/Video Button on your Remote Control a few times, or sometimes the

Television needs to be configured for S-Video

For ATi graphics card TV-OUT's go to the Control Panel, click on Display, Settings,

Advanced and then ATi display Tab, click TV enable.

For nVidia graphics cards right click on the Desktop, select Properties, Settings and

Advanced this will bring up the Advanced Properties.

Left click on the Tab corresponding to your Graphics Card, a window will pop up on the left panel.

Then select nView Display mode from this panel.

Left click on the current display and select TV from the drop down menu

Some Computer's have TV-OUT disabled

Display Setting may need adjusting on your computer such as adding a second Monitor

(Television) changing from Composite to S-Video or to turn on the TV Mode

Also try changing format from NTSC (North American) to PAL-I (UK)

Most PC TV-OUT's are either ATi or nVidia

Go to click here customer-care product manuals on how to set-up your card

Or click here support FAQ

If you have interference try switching off any connected equipment not in use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5