connecting laptop to pc with crossover cable

Kerravonn 18:02 08 Feb 07

I am attempting to connect my laptop to my PC using a crossover cable. My intention is to use the PC as a storage device and to use the dvd drives.
I have already set up a wireless network which works fine but is slow.
I followed the instructions from click here
but I get a limited or no connectivity message any idea of what I have done wrong

STREETWORK 21:16 08 Feb 07

You infer that you have connected the laptop to PC with crossover cable. Why then set up a wireless network as the cable would be wired to a ethernet card on the PC. This is why you are not getting a connection established

dms05 14:22 09 Feb 07

If your PC is attached to a WiFi Router by LAN then connecting your laptop to the same router with a LAN cable will mean they are both on the same network (just the same as having the laptop on the network via WiFi). Connecting the two together with a crossover cable means you will have to release all the assigned network addressing and reassign by setting up a new network which will only do, at best, what your original network does.

Just replace the WiFi link with a LAN link and forget the crossover cable.

Kerravonn 08:34 10 Feb 07

You infer that you have connected the laptop to PC with crossover cable. Why then set up a wireless network as the cable would be wired to a ethernet card on the PC. This is why you are not getting a connection established

Streetwork I aready have a wireless connection but when transferrng sound/video files it is way to slow what I am really trying to do is use access my drivess on the pc including dvd drives from crossover connection
How do i disable the existing wireless connection

mgmcc 09:10 10 Feb 07

If you want to use the Wireless connection only for the internet and a Crossover connection for file transfers, untick "File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in the *WIRELESS* connection.

In the *CROSSOVER* connection, as there is no DHCP server, you will need to allocate fixed IP addresses. Assuming your router operates in a 192.168.x.x subnet, give the Local Area Connections used for the crossover connection, the IP addresses 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 with Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0 Any firewall software will need to be configured accordingly.

Alternatively, for the crossover connection, disable TCP/IP protocol and install IPX/SPX instead as this requires no configuration. It is also unaffected by firewalls which monitor TCP/IP connections.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

In Windows 98, in Network Properties (right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties), click the "Add" button. In the next box, select Protocol and click "Add". In the next again box, highlight Microsoft in the left window and then IPX/SPX- compatible Protocol in the right window, then click OK. Back in the main Network Properties, highlight the IPX/SPX entry that relates to your network adapter and select Properties. In the NetBIOS tab, tick the box for "I want to enable etc.." and click OK. With Windows 98, you will need to reboot the computer after making changes to the Network Properties.

The only reason I can see for this direct ink is if the router itself is too far away from the PCs for a "wired" connection. Otherwise for get wireless networking and connect to the router by ethernet cable.

mgmcc 09:12 10 Feb 07

The only reason I can see for this direct link is if the router itself is too far away from the PCs for a "wired" connection. Otherwise forget wireless networking and connect to the router by ethernet cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac