Connecting Laptop to PC & Broadband

Steinman 13:29 26 Jul 03

Nephew has new LapTop. Win XP.
Family has PC with XP. PC has AOL Broadband on it.
Nephew wants to connect his Laptop to the PC so can use the PC broadband connection. Wants to do it without wires. Can someone explain how to do it in simple steps please?

graham√ 14:20 26 Jul 03

BTs solution (there are others) click here

Bagsey 17:07 26 Jul 03

I suggest that you read this link as I have just gone through this subject a couple of days ago. You may find your answer .
click here

Steinman 17:35 26 Jul 03

well I have read them all & am rather confused!
Thought it was a simple thing but seems many ways to do it!
I think Nephew wants to be in another part of home when using laptop & not in pc room so needs some kind of infra-red thingy. Does that make things simpler/more complicated for connectivity? Family pc is currently connected via a AOL broadband modem.Does not want to buy another modem. Seemed to be under the impression that can plug modem into something which will allow connection to pc & infra -red signal to laptop.Is this all pie in sky?

graham√ 17:46 26 Jul 03

Forget infra-red. If you don't want a cable network, a wireless network is the only option.

MikeBeard 17:55 26 Jul 03

We have two laptops, which work anywhere in the house, they are linked to broadband using the Linksys Radio Transmitter and Belkin PCMCIA radio receiver/transmitter The whole set up is a bit expensive, at over £200, but we find the ease of us is a big bonus.

Hope this helps
Mike

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:39 26 Jul 03

If he just wants to usethe Net all he needs to do is buy an ADSL modem (£29.99 fron PCW) and plug it into an available socket....saves a lot of hassle and expense.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…