Connecting laptop to PC

Bigbite 14:09 16 Jan 06

I have wirless network comprising 2 laptops and one PC, with Netgear Router. Am able to share files/folders across all computers.

To transfer a large file from a laptop to the PC is proving impossible over the wireless connection, it cuts out after about five minutes.

How do I connect with a cable, ie which cable and what changes do I need to make to the settings?

Forum Editor 14:44 16 Jan 06

(you can buy one from any computer shop)into the laptop's LAN port and the other end into one of the router's LAN ports - there will be four at the back of the Netgear.

Then disable your laptop's wireless adapter.

That's all you'll need to do.

Bigbite 16:16 16 Jan 06

Sorry to appear stupid, but do I need to have a cable between the router and the PC as well.

I will do what you have suggested but I would hate to have go to the computer shop twice to get another cable.

Someone has suggested the fastest connection is with the firewire port. Is that true.

dms05 16:28 16 Jan 06

Do you mean all your networking is over WiFi (ie none of your computers are connected to the WiFi Router by cable)?

Bigbite 19:40 16 Jan 06

Yes thats it exactly

Bigbite 07:12 17 Jan 06

When you get down to basics I am trying to find out how to connect two computers, one laptop running XP(SP2) and one PC running XP(SP1), over a firewire connection. The ethernet connection/port on the PC does not work.

DrScott 09:34 17 Jan 06

That's a shame. A crossover cable between your laptop and PC would have enabled a nice rapid transfer of the file you needed. Perhaps buy a new ethernet card for your PC? They're very cheap!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…