Connecting Laptop to existing Router

seemax72 22:31 21 Apr 08

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I apologise firstly if this has been brought up before.
I have a home PC with the SKY Broadband package, running the Netgear DG834GT Wireless router. My PC isn't wifi compatible, so it is connected through a cable linked to a microfilter on my telephone jack point.
Recently, my partner has aquired a Laptop, which is wifi compatible and we wish to connect this to the router. When we try to connect, the laptop says it cannot connect and comes up with a padlock on the taskbar. Her boss has suggested that we turn off the security settings for the router, connect the laptop and then re-set the security settings on the router.
Logging into the Netgear settings site, i disabled the security as advised and attempted to connect the laptop. The padlock has disappeared but the laptop still doesn't want to connect.
Can anyone be so kind as to tell me if i've done anything wrong and or if there might be something i'm not doing ?.

Your help is truly appreciated and i look forward to hearing from you.

brundle 22:56 21 Apr 08

You'll have been sent a security/encryption code along with your router & Sky documentation - you need to type that in to connect. It might even be on a label stuck on the underside of the router, it's been a while since I set one of those up so I can't recall.

"...running the Netgear DG834GT Wireless router. My PC isn't wifi compatible, so it is connected through a cable linked to a microfilter on my telephone jack point." - you mean, the router is connected in that manner or the computer?

seemax72 01:58 22 Apr 08

Yes, sorry. The router is connected in this manner.
I have found all the codes for the router on its underbelly, but when we try to connect, it offers us nowhere to enter these codes ??

seemax72 02:21 22 Apr 08

Meant to add sorry, that we were told to disable security of router, then do a trial test connection and this should work. Then to re-enable the security and it will prompt for the password.
Its this whether im wondering is true because without security enabled on the router, the laptop still fails to find a connection ?.

Thankyou for your response so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…