Connecting Laptop & Desktop with WiFi

Air_Man 08:36 03 Oct 04

I currently have a desktop permanently in my home office (with Broadband) and a company laptop, with WiFi, which follows me around wherever I go. However, when working from home, I prefer to use my higher spec desktop but often require files held on the laptop. Currently I use my USB stick to transfer these files but it is a bit of a pain. I was wondering if I can get some sort of WiFi card for the desktop which would then allow the two to talk via WiFi and I could get my files that way. Anyone know if this would work, or do I need to go down another route.

Thx

Diodorus Siculus 08:57 03 Oct 04

Yes, that will work - a PCMCIA (for the laptop) wifi card can be picked up in most computer outlets or online. Together with a PCI wifi card for the desktop, you should have no difficulties doing what you want to do.

Air_Man 09:43 03 Oct 04

Thanks Diodorus. Can you recommend any specific card (brands/models) for the desktop, and the sort of price I should look at paying?

Air_Man 10:33 03 Oct 04

Right, a bit of searching and I have found this at PC World click here

LINKSYS
WIRLESS 54G
WIRELESS NETWORKING NETWORK CARD

Will this do the job?

Thx

Diodorus Siculus 11:45 03 Oct 04

Yes, it should. I cannot recommend anything specific as I have not used one myself - best advice seems to be that all components be made by the same company to be sure of compatibility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…