Connecting Laptop and Desktop PC via direct cable

dregn 08:07 15 Jan 04

I have been trying to connect my laptop and desktop PC with the aim of sharing a printer and transferring and sharing files.I do not wish to access the internet ( I have a dialup connection )
Both are running WinXP and I have connected both machines with a crossover cable between the ethernet ports on each.
When I attempt to configure the network the wizard gives me only the following options :

Standard Modem
Infrared port
Direct Parallel connection.

No mention of ethernet.I have tried most things and am still unable to get the two to see each other.

I suspect I am missing something here and wonder if any kind soul who has a similar setup can put me right ?

TIA

Big Elf 11:47 15 Jan 04

What I know about networking would fit on the head of a pin with room to spare. You could try removing the network adapters in Device Manager and then reboot for them to be detected again or try another cable.

Djohn 12:07 15 Jan 04

click here And have a look at the graphics. It may help. j

ricvic 12:21 15 Jan 04

click here has a step by step guide click here

dregn 06:29 16 Jan 04

Many thanks, everyone.

I think I can now setup the connection correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…