Connecting laptop and desktop to Broadband

Mike_R 18:40 13 Jan 07

My grandsons share the use of an Evesham desktop PC which is hard wired to a Broadband connection. To avoid strife and allow both to do their homework, I am thinking of getting them a laptop as well. What hardware and software do I need to have in the laptop, and what do I have to add to the desktop to allow both to have access to the Broadband service.
I assume that both can access the same Broadband service but can both surf the WEB at the same time?

Jackcoms 18:50 13 Jan 07

You can achieve what you want by just using a RJ45 crossover cable but the PC with the internet connection will have to remain switched on and connected to the net for the other PC to have net access.

First you need to make sure that both PCs are in the same workgroup. You need to do this so that they can see each other on the network. Right click on My Computer; Properties and then the Computer Name tab. You'll see the workgroup name listed and these need to be the same on both PCs. If they aren’t click the change button and make them the same.

Jackcoms 18:52 13 Jan 07

Oops. Posted too early. Let's do that again!

You can achieve what you want just by using an RJ45 crossover cable but the PC with the internet connection will have to remain switched on and connected to the net for the other PC to have net access.

First you need to make sure that both PCs are in the same workgroup. You need to do this so that they can see each other on the network. Right click on My Computer; Properties and then the Computer Name tab. You'll see the workgroup name listed and these need to be the same on both PCs. If they aren’t click the change button and make them the same.

Have the RJ45 cable plugged in and go into ‘My Network Places’ from Network Connections. At the top left you'll see ‘Network Tasks’, choose ‘Set up a home or small office network’. The network setup wizard will now start; follow this through and do this on the PC that hosts the internet connection first. Choosing the option ‘This computer connects directly to the internet’.

Then on your other PC run the network setup wizard again but this time choose ‘This computer connects through another computer on my network’.

The network setup wizard is quite simple and should do the configuring for you. Once it has finished you may need to restart both computers, but then in ‘My Network Places’ you should see the other computer if you click on ‘View workgroup computers’.

Mike_R 20:21 13 Jan 07

Sorry to come back but the laptop will be in a diffent room and will need to be connected by a wireless link. The desktop is in number one grandson's bedroom and access will probably be denied to number two grandson. (Families!) What wireless blackbox will I need and can both grandsons access the WEB at the same time?

tullie 21:37 13 Jan 07

I have a desktop with wireless router,connected to BT Broadband,i bought a laptop,booted it,turned on wireless adapter on laptop,searched for available networks,and bingo!That was it

Mike_R 17:09 14 Jan 07

Thanks everyone. It sounds easy. We shall see. What i am wondering is whwther I will be able just to plug in the desktop to the router or will need an additional card or gizmo. I have asked Evesham that question.
One more question. Can anyone recommend a suitable router? I am thinking of an Acer laptop.

stylehurst 10:23 15 Jan 07

I would suggest a Belkin router, they are reliable & easy to set up.
If you site the router in the room with the desktop, then the desktop PC can be hard wired into the router, the modem should be transferred from the deskop PC to the Router. Set up the desktop PC & router first which will establish your internet connection, then set up the laptop.
It should be painless.

Mike_R 10:46 15 Jan 07

Thanks again everyone. It will be a week or more before I get the equipment then I will come back if I'm stuck. No doubt the grandchildren will then squabble over use of the laptop.

Mike_R 12:27 19 Jan 07

Back again with another question. The modem supplied by Tiscali is a Sagem 800 USB modem. Will this connect to a wireless router or will I need a combined router/modem for the ethernet connection to the desktop? Advice on the type of router would bemuch appreciated.

stylehurst 14:19 19 Jan 07

As far as I am aware, a router does not have a USB connection to plug in the aforementioned modem, so I would suggest that you obtain a combined router/modem. Again, I would repeat my earlier recommendation to use a Belkin, they are usually quite easy to set up and have a lifetime guarantee.

Mike_R 10:58 20 Jan 07

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…