Connecting a laptop to a desktop.

isititis 13:55 PM 23 Sep 11

Hello,I have an up-graded pc from XP Home to Win 7 Home Premium. It has no wireless adaptor installed, according to the BT Broadband Desktop Help, so I can't go wireless. I'm happy with being wired, at this stage.

A family member has bought a Win 7 Home Pemium laptop and wants to go wireless connecting to my pc. I connect to the internet using a BT Hub 2.0 using an Ethernet cable, but am not sure how to proceed to connect the laptop wirelessly to my pc. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Woolwell 14:04 PM 23 Sep 11

Do you mean that the family member wants to access the internet, e-mail, etc wirelessly or actually access data on your pc? These are different requirements.

Nontek 14:06 PM 23 Sep 11

The laptop should have its own Wireless capability. It should be a simple process using the Laptops wireless connection wizard. The Code on the back of the BT HomeHub will need to be used on the laptop to make the wireless connection.

isititis 14:20 PM 23 Sep 11

Woolwell. Thanks for your quick reply. The lappy will be connecting to the internet. Nontek Thank you for your reply. The lappy is still in it's box, so I have not yet viewed any details/info. There are 2 numbers on the back of the Hub, so the connection procedure will probably show once connected to a power supply. Thanks anyway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:50 PM 23 Sep 11

1.If you're using a laptop with built-in wireless, turn wireless on by either using the wireless switch (if your computer has one) or activating wireless from within your wireless software. Your wireless adapter must be 802.11b, g or n compliant.

1. Read your Hub's SSID and wireless key from the label on the back of the Hub or from the wireless settings card that came in your Hub's box.

2. For windows 7 follow the instructions here or video

3. Open your web browser - you should now be on the Internet. If you can't connect to the Internet, please restart your computer and try these steps again - or follow any on-screen troubleshooting instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know