connecting lan to internet using tp-link - error 815?

thamesside 17:27 27 Mar 14

Have been using wirless connection to my router. I want to stream video via a humax pvr to my tv. Purchased 3 tp-link powerline adaptors. Connected to router and humax fine. Can't connect to PC. In "connect to" "broadband connection PPoE" shows up, but when I try to connect after entering username and password it fails. I get a messsage saying error 815, could be invalid service name. An hour on the phone to ee has not helped. Any ideas?

onthelimit1 17:52 27 Mar 14

Is the homeplug connected to the PC via an ethernet cable? If so, you should look for Local Area Network, not PPoE.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 27 Mar 14

You need a program on your PC to act as a server if you wish to stream video from the PC to the Humax (Foxstat or Fox T2 or other?).

Windows media player is capable of this (I use to use Media Monkey).

alanrwood 21:31 27 Mar 14

Hi Fruit Bat

The OP wants to stream from Humax to TV not the other way around. He said

I want to stream video via a humax pvr to my tv.

thamesside 22:00 27 Mar 14

Thanks for the help. I do have a server program: Serviio. I'll have another try tomorrow.

thamesside 07:59 28 Mar 14

Yes the TP-LINK plug is connected to the PC by an internet cable

As I Understand it:

"PPPoE is a specification for connecting the users on an Ethernet to the Internet through a common broadband medium,"

Which is what I am trying to do isn't it?

Confused.

Secret-Squirrel 09:14 28 Mar 14

".... In "connect to" "broadband connection PPoE" shows up, but when I try to connect after entering username and password it fails."

Are you in the UK? I guess with a name of "thamesside" you probably are.

The Windows "Broadband connection" you're trying to use is for folks who need to connect via a cable modem - this is a common connection type in the US. You'll never get it to work so delete it via Control Panel -> Internet Options -> "Connections" tab -> highlight "Broadband Connection" -> "Remove" button. Make sure that box is now blank, and if it's not, make sure it's set to "Never dial a connection".

In principle, all you need to do to get online is to connect an Ethernet cable from the TP-Link powerline adapter to your PC - no setting up is required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced