connecting to the internet on windows 95

stuj77 13:33 10 Nov 04

My mother purchased a computer form her work (which was closing down) a few months ago.

The computer is a very basic P2 with 64meg of ram and Windows 95, with a 6gig harddrive. Whilst this is not particularly high spec it is fine for what my mother would use it for.

I told her that she needed a modem to get on the net, and she bought as I instructed a serial modem (as a computer this old) beacuse the computer does not have the standard sockets to get on the internet.

I managed to get her on to the internet to and it was working however, time and time again it just keeps disconnecting itslef after about 5 mins. I have reset the internet options however it never seems to make any difference and it keeps disconnecting anyway.

Can anyone help

Diodorus Siculus 13:39 10 Nov 04

Sounds like a problem with the modem drivers. Do you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer?

buscrew 14:12 10 Nov 04

Is your e-mail programme set to check for new mail every 5 minutes, and to disconnect after sending and receiving?

TomJerry 14:40 10 Nov 04

Talk from a costing point of view, there is no reason not to get broadband.

£19.99 for BOTH phone line rent and broadband from talktalk, also free weekend and evening local call. click here

If you do not want phone line: £17.99 from virgin click here

TomJerry 14:40 10 Nov 04

if you want to stick with dial up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…