Connecting to internet using someone elses PC

Learalike 16:51 18 Jul 05

If this question has been discussed elsewhere please point me in the right direction, thanks. When I took my laptop to sisters house I thought I would be able to just plug their Eth`net cable from their modem into my laptop and connect to their broadband connection but no joy!. my laptop is usually connected wirelessly at home using D-Link router, laptop running WinXp home ed`. Could any one explain how I should configure my laptop to get this working. Got to go to work now so if I don`t respond to any replys straight away I will as soon as I can. Thank you for any help.

mgmcc 16:58 18 Jul 05

Question - what was sister's "ethernet" modem connected to? If it was NTL Cable, I believe it is still necessary to register the network adapter's MAC address with NTL before you can get online.

Learalike 17:03 18 Jul 05

just rushed back with a thought, when I want to connect using laptop at home I have to "connect" through the D-Link utillity, should I have done it this way with my sisters BB. Thanks for the quick response mgmcc, we are both connecting with NTL so you could be right

Matt5758 21:07 18 Jul 05

Plug in your laptop to the cable modem and then downpower the modem and power it back up. Your laptop should connect then.

Learalike 07:15 19 Jul 05

Thanks Matt, I`ll give that a try as soon as I can.

Carr 12:07 24 Jul 05

Bit new to all this too but getting a laptop for my birthday and want to use the internet at home for the months when I'm not at uni. Is it possible to connect through the existing broadband account with wannadoo (although might be changing to pipex or something at some point) that's on the home pc with my laptop.
I've got a speedtouch 510/530 router with 4 ethernet ports which i used to use for xbox live and have my pc plugged into one. If I plugged an ethernet cable from one of these to my laptop would the internet work on the laptop or would I have to configure things?
Thanks for any help, also what would be needed to make this wireless?

Matt

Learalike 15:35 24 Jul 05

Hoping to give Matt5758 suggestion a try this afternoon, I`ll let you know how I get on. Tom

Learalike 20:16 24 Jul 05

Thanks Matt,worked just like you said it would, well done :) Tom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now