connecting to internet to laptop via desktop pc

Jarigo 22:15 30 Dec 07

I have just bought a laptop with vista home premium installed and would like to connect to internet through my desk top with XP installed.I am connected to the internet through a BT Voyager205 adsl router via ethernet to my desktop.Could anyone advise me what cable/connector I would require to connect the two.Hope this makes sense as I am new to this networking.Actually silver surfer.

skidzy 22:20 30 Dec 07

I would expect your lappy has a wireless card inbuilt,normally FN+F2 will turn this on.

Is your router secure,ie...encryption code set ?

cream. 22:23 30 Dec 07

Your router should have two output ports. One the ethernet that you are using and the other is a usb socket.

So you could use a usb cable from your router straight to the laptop.

click here

cream. 22:24 30 Dec 07

wireless router, is it?

skidzy 22:32 30 Dec 07

Oops your correct Percy,sorry about that .

skidzy 22:34 30 Dec 07

If you have a few pounds left from the xmas spending spree,i would suggest a wireless router, therefore giving you the option to sit on your couch with the lappy and a wireless connection.

cream. 22:54 30 Dec 07

" Could anyone advise me what cable/connector I would require to connect the two "

You can use the cable supplied with the router to connect both machines but you will have to change the leads as the router just has drivers for XP and older.

To change the desktop machines cable

1) unplug the ethernet cable from the rear of the computer.
2) put the router driver disk in and follow the prompts
3) when asked, connect the usb cable
4) your desktop should now be connected to the internet.

For the laptop

Plug in the ethernet cable into the ethernet port. Right click the lan icon in the sys tray and pick connect. You will have to input the routers code, usually under the router, if it has one.

Both machines should now be on the internet.

Jarigo 22:58 30 Dec 07

Fantastic response folks.Right enough Percy Vere there is an ethernet output and a usb output on router so do I need a cable from usb to usb to connect the two.Thanks also Skidsy but is a wireless router difficult to set up as I have a few pence left over after xnas.

cream. 23:13 30 Dec 07

" so do I need a cable from usb to usb to connect the two "

Yes, there should be a 5Ft one that came with the router.

I should have made that clearer:-

To change the desktop machines ethernet cable to a USB cable

1) unplug the ethernet cable from the rear of the computer.
2) place the usb cable into the router
3) put the router driver disk in and follow the prompts
4) when asked, connect the usb cable
5) your desktop should now be connected to the internet.

skidzy 23:16 30 Dec 07

Just an idea click here

Jarigo 18:05 31 Dec 07

Sorry for not coming back quickly lads but I seem to be having a problem with router driver disc as it is not completing the programme.Will have another go tomorrow if sober.Many thanks and a very Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…