Connecting to the internet & firewall problems.

westgolf 10:23 AM 28 Feb 13

My laptop runs W/vista.I have an ethernet connection to my Belkin router.When I turn everything on it used to show the internet connection in the bottom task bar - without fail. Over the last couple of weeks i often find that the internet connection has not been made & it says "local connection only" when I go through network diagnostics I get, windows firewall - query user ? after maybe 10 minutes of resetting the router & turning off & back on the firewall I eventually get an internet connection.The avg showing in the task bar - frequently says, turned off & I have to go through security centre to reset this, but frequently it does not say it has reset ? Please can anyone suggest a solution ? Thanks.

Chronos the 2nd 11:16 AM 28 Feb 13

Some routers really do not like being turned on and off so I would leave it on 24/7.

Have you done a thorough scan for any nasties?

mgmcc 11:39 AM 28 Feb 13

This is a nasty bug which, as far as I'm aware, is specific to Windows Vista. Have a look at this page to see if that helps in resolving the issue.

westgolf 18:30 PM 03 Mar 13

Thank you for this.I have worked through everything & its now clear to me that vista suffers this affliction. I am grateful for all help , Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X