Connecting to the Internet

stephenson51 09:18 17 Nov 05

For no apparant reason my pc will not connect to the internet - my Wanadoo livebox is ok as it works ok with my laptop but when I try to connect
with the PC it just comes up 'unable open page' - it has been working fine uptill now - does anyone know nwhere I should start looking??
Regards David

rawprawn 09:40 17 Nov 05

Check that "Work Offline" isn't ticked under "File"

stephenson51 12:03 17 Nov 05

Thanks RawPrawn but that was the first thing I checked - It seems to be something more fundamental than that as have tried everything I know (which is not much)

rawprawn 12:11 17 Nov 05

Have you looked in Internet Options/ Connections and see if you have it set as default?

rawprawn 12:11 17 Nov 05

Also check "Settings" in there.

stephenson51 12:14 17 Nov 05

Thanks but have checked all internet options tabs and all are OK and have not changed from original settings that were working OK previously

mgmcc 12:46 17 Nov 05

Is it just web pages or have you lost complete internet access - for example access to SMTP/POP3 mail servers too?

If so, download this "WinSockFix" application and run it to see if that fixes the problem. The installer is small enough to fit on a floppy disk so that you can transfer it to the "problem" PC. click here

stephenson51 12:51 17 Nov 05

mgmcc
Thanks - I will try it - fyg, I cannot connect to anything - even my PCAnywhere connection to my office computer will not work - I have even tried dial up connection through normal phone line to no avail

will let you know if the 'WindsockFix' solves it
Thanks again-

stephenson51 15:23 19 Nov 05

mgmcc - Thanks very much the windsockfix applictaion seems to have worked

Thanks for your help

regards
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…