Connecting to the Internet

stephenson51 09:18 17 Nov 05

For no apparant reason my pc will not connect to the internet - my Wanadoo livebox is ok as it works ok with my laptop but when I try to connect
with the PC it just comes up 'unable open page' - it has been working fine uptill now - does anyone know nwhere I should start looking??
Regards David

rawprawn 09:40 17 Nov 05

Check that "Work Offline" isn't ticked under "File"

stephenson51 12:03 17 Nov 05

Thanks RawPrawn but that was the first thing I checked - It seems to be something more fundamental than that as have tried everything I know (which is not much)

rawprawn 12:11 17 Nov 05

Have you looked in Internet Options/ Connections and see if you have it set as default?

rawprawn 12:11 17 Nov 05

Also check "Settings" in there.

stephenson51 12:14 17 Nov 05

Thanks but have checked all internet options tabs and all are OK and have not changed from original settings that were working OK previously

mgmcc 12:46 17 Nov 05

Is it just web pages or have you lost complete internet access - for example access to SMTP/POP3 mail servers too?

If so, download this "WinSockFix" application and run it to see if that fixes the problem. The installer is small enough to fit on a floppy disk so that you can transfer it to the "problem" PC. click here

stephenson51 12:51 17 Nov 05

mgmcc
Thanks - I will try it - fyg, I cannot connect to anything - even my PCAnywhere connection to my office computer will not work - I have even tried dial up connection through normal phone line to no avail

will let you know if the 'WindsockFix' solves it
Thanks again-

stephenson51 15:23 19 Nov 05

mgmcc - Thanks very much the windsockfix applictaion seems to have worked

Thanks for your help

regards
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch