Connecting to the Internet

sordit 16:32 17 Nov 04

Hi
I have just built a new PC.How do I connect to the Internet? I have a few ISP discs. Building a computer seems simple, but when it comes to setting it up, is rather tricky. I have installed the following modem....MERCURY 56 kbps PCI Data/ Fax Modem featuring the INTEL modem chipset. Support ITU V.92/V.90 56K protocol. The cable is connected to my telephone line, but nothing in the modem telephone socket,as I do not require FAX messaging. I tried the disc " NET BREEZE" but cannot connect. I cannot upgrade or download anything, till I can get on the intrnet. Thank you for any help. Sordit

woodchip 16:38 17 Nov 04

First you have to get the Modem to work i.e. load the drivers. then just pop a ISP in like tiscali and follow the on screen prompts.

PS if you have Call minder or any other BT software these have to be disconnected or disabled when you connect to the net. As you will have problems if they are running

sordit 17:37 09 Feb 05

After trying to connect to the internet. I get a message----Error 678. this is after I install the BT/Yahoo pay as you go CD. I get a dialling tone about three times and then this message.

Diodorus Siculus 17:41 09 Feb 05

As you have a connection to the internet now, why not sign up for your chosen ISP via their web site and download the connection software / settings.Then you can manually create it.

Diodorus Siculus 17:41 09 Feb 05

As you have a connection to the internet now, why not sign up for your chosen ISP via their web site and download the connection software / settings.Then you can manually create it.

sordit 18:28 09 Feb 05

I have done this and signed up but the above error appears each time

sordit 10:16 16 Feb 05

Any more help for the above problem. What is error 678?

woodchip 18:55 16 Feb 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…