Connecting to Home Network

jimmyflood 17:50 04 Mar 09

Is it possible to connect to my home network from another location? ie: in another house.
if so,how? also how secure is it?
I have a wired and wireless network in my house. My setup consists of a Modem Router with an external Network Hard Drive connected via one of the Ethernet ports. I have an XP Media Centre and a Vista Desktop on my Network which are never swithed off, these are connected via Ethernet cables to my Modem Router also.
Any advise would be appreciated.

mgmcc 20:09 04 Mar 09

Yes, and the simplest way is probably to use the Hamachi VPN (virtual Private Network) software click here which is free for personal use. With it, you don't need to worry about port forwarding in routers, each computer in your network will have its own "Hamachi" IP address and it just works.

The VPN is only accessible by entering the Password that you set up so it is secure.

jimmyflood 20:51 04 Mar 09

I have downloaded the Hamachi software and set up a network, I take it I download the software on each Computer on my home network. How do I then connect to this from another computer. Sorry if this seems a bit basic, but this is new territory for me. Thanks for your help mgmcc.

mgmcc 22:26 04 Mar 09

Install the software in all the computers that you want to network. Decide which of your computers at home is the "main" one and click the button at the bottom of the little grey interface to "Create or Join Networks". Create a network and set a password for it. This computer then has control of that network. In the other computers, you "Join an existing network" by entering the network name and password.

Play about with it from within your home LAN to get the hang of it and you can do exactly the same over the internet from a remote PC. You can access shared folders and printers over the internet in the same way as within your LAN.

The Hamachi interface in each computer will list the names of all computers that are members of a particular network and indicate which ones are "online".

jimmyflood 23:38 04 Mar 09

mgmcc, Thanks for all your help.I am fully operational.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009