Connecting Freeview to Vista Media Center laptop

orange_amnesia 22:40 15 Mar 08

I would like to connect a Sony Vaio VGN-AR51SU laptop running Windows Vista Ulimate Media Center to my Freeview box. The Sony Vaio VGN-AR51SU has a integrated hybrid digital/analg tuner and remote control.

What wires or connector do I need to connect the Freeview box to the Sony Vaio laptop?

rossgolf 22:44 15 Mar 08

if its got an inbuilt tuner then is there an arial slot/port?

woodchip 23:04 15 Mar 08

It will not connect as your laptop does not have a Scart Socket. You could buy a Tv Digital Modulator. But it's far cheaper to buy a TV that plugs into USB like this click here

There are others

orange_amnesia 23:56 15 Mar 08

"if its got an inbuilt tuner then is there an arial slot/port?"

Yes, it does have an aerial port.

If I connect the aerial directly into the aerial port on the laptop then the Media Center picks up BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4.

If I connect the aerial in to the Freeview box and then a wire from the Freeview box to the aerial port on the laptop, Media Center still picks up BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4.

rossgolf 00:00 16 Mar 08

i have a tv tuner and i plug my arial straight in and then scan DVB channels and it picks them up

orange_amnesia 00:11 16 Mar 08

"i have a tv tuner and i plug my arial straight in and then scan DVB channels and it picks them up"

It picks up all of the Freeview channels without a Freeview box connected to the laptop?

rossgolf 00:22 16 Mar 08

well its a desktop but same principal.
and yes without a freeview box.
have a look at the manual and see if it is digital DVB

Ray5776 00:30 16 Mar 08

Sounds like you have an inbuilt TV card so an ordinary aerial cable should be fine.

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…