Connecting to Freeserve Hometime for the first tim

Rhuddlan 21:54 05 Apr 04

A friend has got a Freeserve Anytime CD from Argos and wants to sign up to Freeserve Hometime, she has tried to dial out, with the modem correctly inserted and Freeserve installed, the connections in the internet options are set correctly (i think). Basically without attempting to phone up Freeserve at their crazy prices, I was just wondering if anyone could help my desperate friend who needs internet access asap. Am I right to believe that you have to phone Freeserve up and get an 0845 number off them to register your details online and then after 6 or 7 working days, you can dial out an 0844 number and receive internet access, Am I right in thinking this? Appreciate any help given, Rhuddlan.

SANTOS7 22:03 05 Apr 04

click here should get the answers your looking for here good luck [email protected]

Colinp 22:07 05 Apr 04

i use hometime as well. this link should tell you all you need to know and do. click here

Rhuddlan 22:48 05 Apr 04

Thanks for that info, do you have to have a BT phone line, my friend's phone is BT, but not the line.

beeuuem 23:03 05 Apr 04

See click here

To use Freeserve you have to have a BT line.

harps1h 23:40 05 Apr 04

all land lines are owned by bt they just sell the rental to other companies. you still have to pay the basic line rental even you use something like skytalk to reduce your call charges. the only difference is these special deals do not include 0845 numbers, so that when you dial up you pay the going rate. with hometime you pay for the ablilty to use the net at anytime without any further charge apart from your monthky subscription to freeserve. you must have a landline regardless of who rents the line to you.

Colinp 23:51 05 Apr 04

harps1h

You are not quite correct in your statement that "with hometime you pay for the ablilty to use the net at anytime without any further charge". The hometime number is only operative between the hours of 1800 and 0800 weekdays and 1800 on a Friday through to 0800 on the following Monday. If you wish to access the web outside those hours, its a different phone number (0845 etc), and you are charged at the 0845 rate on your phone bill.

ternard 00:04 06 Apr 04

I was on Hometime, but found that I had to pay a fee to BT as well. So I changed to Anytime, then did not have to pay the fee, so overall it is not much dearer.

Tesco Net is a bit cheaper.

harps1h 00:22 06 Apr 04

sorry my mistake in naming the wrong tariff. to be honest with i used to use it too but it's usage very restrictive plus they kicked you after 2 hours. this was a pain if you were downloading. now i use pipex @ £23.44 which is better value

Rhuddlan 18:16 06 Apr 04

Thanks for all the info guys, my friend has decided to switch to Anytime now, with Hometime I understood that you have to wait 7 working days to receive an e mail from Freeserve with the new number and dial up settings info, and in the meantime u have to dial out the 0845 no until u get the 0844 no, does this apply to anytime, as my friend registered with anytime today through the cd and is now online and she has BT surftime, so it works out at £13.99 a month, as she has only registered and got online today, is she going to be charged the rate per minute or can she be assured that now she is registered she can surf day or night for this monthly fee, or does the e mail option from freeseerve apply for anytime like it does for hometime, thanks again for the wonderful help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…