Connecting external units to my computer

Housten 16:45 17 Nov 14

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I need some advice with how I connect some external units to my computer.

My desktop computer is almost 8 years old and, being a 71 year old, I will not be buying another one. It is quite reasonable for what I want. It is a dual core E6600 machine running at 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 300 GB hard drive with Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit and SP1.

A few weeks ago I checked what I actually needed to be connected to my computer and found that a couple of external hard drives were unnecessary, so being – as I thought - a “bit clever” I realised that the 7 port powered hub I was using could handle all the drives, etc., and would save any strain being put on the computer, or so went my thinking. Included within the 7 port hub were the keyboard and mouse, I switched everything and connected it back up to the computer. When the computer was powered up it would not boot up. I asked on this forum and ‘BRYNIT’ advised me that I should disconnect the 7 port. So I did and then disconnected the keyboard and mouse, and connected them directly into the computer, then disconnected the data wire to the 7 port hub, powered the computer and it booted straight up!! I then shut it down completely and rebooted, twice. This was just to make sure that what was happening was not a fluke.

So what I have left on the 7 port are two pen drives, an external hard drive and my printer and scanner. The last two are self powered but the others draw power – or so I think – from the 7 port, but now I am wondering. I have the mouse and keyboard connected to a 4 port hub, along with a pen drive. So would it be acceptable – in as much as all would be getting power from the computer – if I connected another 4 port hub, which I have, and connecting the two pen drives and the printer and scanner to it and the external hard drive to the 4 port I am using at the minute? Or would this be putting too much strain on the computer and so I should use a pen drive on the present port and the external drive on the proposed port? Or should I not even bother trying to do either?

All comments/replies/thoughts will be very gratefully received. Many, many thanks in advance to all who reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 17 Nov 14

How many USB ports do you have directly on the machine? 4 at rear 2 at front?

Nothing to stop you plugging a hub into all of the ports (powered is better)

If the hub is unpowered, mem sticks and mouse keyboard are fine.

but I prefer to use powered hubs for external drives (powered or not) and scanners /printers

Housten 12:46 18 Nov 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Many, many thanks for your reply. I apologise for not getting back to you before but I thought that PCA sent an email if there was a reply to a question. I have had nothing!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac