Connecting to an existing wireless network

HMG1K 20:17 11 Jan 09

I'm running a wireless network at home and one of my PCs refuses to connect to the network. My PC keeps saying 'accuiring network address' and doesn't get any further. If it does (on the rare occasion) it then loses its connection.

There are three PCs in all on the network - two laptops and a desktop. The desktop is the one causing a hassle.

I have Windows looking after the wireless set up. The hub is a Belkin Pre-N, and the PCs are using the Belkin Pre-N cards.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing my network card and NIC via Device Manager, but that hasn't helped. Using Belkin to manage the network hasn't worked either.

Any ideas please on how to get this one PC back on the network please?

Thank you in advance,
Philip

dawood 14:08 12 Jan 09

Not too sure you are using Windows Vista or XP, anyway I think you can just take a look on this wireless network troubleshooting tips click here or tips to solve access local only in Vista click here articles, see whether can help you.

chaudha 15:28 12 Jan 09

How far away is the router from your desktop PC? It could be that the signal isn't strong enough to reach your PC - these new routers don't always work as well as advertised.

HMG1K 21:34 12 Jan 09

Thanks folks, will check these out.

I'm running XP SP3 on all three machines. The desktop causing the hassle is in the next door room from the touter, about 20 feet away, where as on the laptops, they are downstairs from the router, in another part of the house and work with no problems.

Will keep you posted how I get on

HMG1K 02:20 14 Jan 09

Ok, tried the suggestions and didn't help the problem.

I managed to solve it by uninstalling my Belkin Wireless card drivers and then reinstalling them.

It seems to have worked! Hope it stays that way!

Thanks for your help and feedback.
Philip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…