Connecting existing broadband modem to new PC

  concretepigsy 19:23 29 Sep 03

I am with Telewest Broadband and have bought a new PC with a network card. Two questions.

1. The old pc connected to the modem via usb. Can i run the service from the network card instead. If so how.

2. Can i plug the modem into the new pc and start where i left off, or do i have to configure the new pc. Someone told me you have to tell Telewest you have a new computer??

As always thanks

The Pig

  Forum Editor 19:28 29 Sep 03

whether you have a new computer or not - you can use the service on any machine in your home.

You'll need to install the modem driver on the new machine, and any Telewest software that came with your connection documentation - I don't know what Telewest provide. If the modem is a USB modem (and most of them are) you must plug it into one of your new computer's USB ports - it will have at least two. Don't connect the modem until you've installed the driver software though.

  graham√ 19:36 29 Sep 03

A network card is not a Broadband modem. As above, but if you connect the modem to USB, ensure nothing else is using the same hub.

  concretepigsy 19:45 29 Sep 03

same hub graham??????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…