connecting a dvd writer... no connectors left.

grabster 20:31 23 Oct 04

Today i fitted an extra hard drive to my system and everything is running smoothly,the thing is though... to fit it i had to use the connector and power cables from my dvd rom.
now i can live without that cos i only use my cd writer anyway for all tasks,i dont play dvd's on my pc at all.
Now then... i was planning on buying a dvd writer next week but now i have no spare ribbon connectors to stick in it. I dont wanna ditch my cdwriter cos i burn quite a few cd's for my kids and anyway why should i .
Is there some sort of adaptor i can get or is it one or the other ?
Mmm.. any suggestions are welcome.

JonnyTub 20:33 23 Oct 04

you need a pci ide expansion card, at about a tenner there cheap enough

Graham ® 20:36 23 Oct 04

Many DVD writers will write CDs as well.

JonnyTub 20:36 23 Oct 04

for instance click here

grabster 20:41 23 Oct 04

Thanks... lookin at the pix i take it i need to buy extra cables to complete things ?

woodchip 20:42 23 Oct 04

The DVDRW will also burn CD's

JonnyTub 20:43 23 Oct 04

you'll need an extra ide cable at about £3, do you have spare power connector's?

JonnyTub 20:44 23 Oct 04

the one in the pic comes with a cable.

grabster 20:46 23 Oct 04

I was hoping to keep my cdwriter but if it's the easier option i could always ditch it. there's no problem finding someone to take something for nothing,other wise i wouldnt be able to move for defunct computer bit's.

Graham ® 20:48 23 Oct 04

Thanks.

grabster, please note woodchips and my response.

JonnyTub, useful for someone who has room for an extra card :-)

JonnyTub 20:49 23 Oct 04

yes but with both drives you can do a direct cd to cd copy, much quicker...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…