Connecting DVD writer

carper 15:33 09 Nov 04

I am thinking of buying a DVD writer for my video films. The details say "IDE Connectivity"
Could someone please explain.
I have done an archive search but it hasn't helped me much. Would I be better getting a proffesssional in
Thanks in advance for your help

ventanas 15:39 09 Nov 04

No you do not need a professional. It simply means that it connects in the normal way to the IDE cable. Just make sure that you set the jumper on the drive correctly, eg master or slave.

Cook2 17:16 09 Nov 04

Unplug from computer.
Take the sides off, usually 2 or 3 screws either side at the back.

Look inside and you'll see a flat wire connected to the back of your CD-R, long thin plug, and a power connector.

On the rear of the DVD=RW you will see a small plastic connector connecting across two pins. If you look carefully you will see a letter 'M' opposite.

Pull the small connector off and move it to alingn with 'S', which is slave.

Insert the DVD-RW into the slot below the CD-R and secure with the 4 screws supplied. 2 either side.

Look down the flat cable which comes from the CD and you'll see another connector. Carefully plug this into the CD socket. (It only goes in one way round. Don't force it but it needs a firm push).

Follow the power supply cable down from the CD-R and you'll see another plug attached. Connect this to the DVD-RW socket.

Replace the sides and reconnect.

On boot-up the DVD-RW will be detected.

Cook2 17:16 09 Nov 04

Unplug from computer.
Take the sides off, usually 2 or 3 screws either side at the back.

Look inside and you'll see a flat wire connected to the back of your CD-R, long thin plug, and a power connector.

On the rear of the DVD=RW you will see a small plastic connector connecting across two pins. If you look carefully you will see a letter 'M' opposite.

Pull the small connector off and move it to alingn with 'S', which is slave.

Insert the DVD-RW into the slot below the CD-R and secure with the 4 screws supplied. 2 either side.

Look down the flat cable which comes from the CD and you'll see another connector. Carefully plug this into the CD socket. (It only goes in one way round. Don't force it but it needs a firm push).

Follow the power supply cable down from the CD-R and you'll see another plug attached. Connect this to the DVD-RW socket.

Replace the sides and reconnect.

On boot-up the DVD-RW will be detected.

carper 10:14 10 Nov 04

Thanks for your help. Did you mean unplug from mains Cook 2. I think I have got enough to work on now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…