Connecting computers to each other via router

FreddyNoFriends 21:31 12 Sep 06

I have a cable modem, into which is plugged a Belkin router serving all the computers in my house.
My main computer is attached to the router with a cable from an old Realtek PCI ethernet card.
In addition, there are three other computers in the house, all of which connect to the internet via the router using Belkin wireless network cards.
My router is encrypted using 128 bit encryption and all the computers are able to use the internet without any problems.
All the computers are running XP.

What I'm trying to do now is set up a home network so the computers can talk to each other, share files and all the rest.
My question is; will my computer (which has no wireless card) be able to connect to the others via the router, or do I need to stick another wireless network card into my own computer to do this?
If I can network via the router, how do I do
that?

Thanks

FreddyNoFriends 22:26 12 Sep 06

Anyone...?

ade.h 22:35 12 Sep 06

Bumping after less than an hour in this forum section is rather impatient.

It's late, so I'll keep this short. Basically, the clients are all ready to share access each other apart from configuration of the client firewalls, which will require the appropriate IP-based rules to be created. You may find that you need to make a few tweaks to local security policy, but cross that bridge only if you need to. Create shares on each client, then browse for those shares on the other clients via My Network Places. When using the browse function of MNP, a username and its corresponding password may need to be entered. If so, you can either enter it each time access is required in that direction, or tweak it via Local Security Policy. The shortcuts will be created automatically after browsing, but you can make your own if you wish.

FreddyNoFriends 00:22 13 Sep 06

Apologies for the early bump. I was hoping to get it set up tonight...
Thanks for the tips. I think the firewall issue may be the problem I've been having. I'll have another go tomorrow.
Ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced