Connecting computers

loopyloo 15:07 12 May 06

I have a deskop pc and a laptop. The desktop pc is connected to the router via ethernet and the laptop wireless. Instead of copying files or folders from my laptop onto my pc and vice versa can I get the two computers linked. Also the same when using the printer. Can I type something on my laptop and get the printer which is conected to my desktop to print it direct, again instead of copying the file to my main desktopp. Simple instructions would be most appreciated.

mgmcc 16:14 12 May 06

If both computers are connecting reliably to the internet via the router, then they are already "networked". You need to set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Both computers should be in the *same* Workgroup and any firewall software should be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

This is my standard "blurb" on network printing:

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid. click here

ade.h 16:36 12 May 06
  loopyloo 17:18 12 May 06

Sorry to sound an idiot but I'm new to wireless networking.How do I get into the following as suggested above. You need to set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Both computers should be in the *same* Workgroup and any firewall software should be configured to allow access to the networked computers.
e.

mgmcc 17:44 12 May 06

<<< How do I get into the following as suggested above. You need to set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option >>>

Open Windows Explorer and right click a folder that you want to be able to access from the other computer. One of the options when you right click a folder is "Sharing & Security"; from this you can set the folder as "shared". It will then have a hand under its icon to show that it is a shared folder.

<<< Both computers should be in the *same* Workgroup >>>

Right click "My Computer", select Properties and then the "Computer Name" tab. In here you can set both the computer's name and the Workgroup to which it belongs. Each computer should have its own name, but the computers in the network should all be in the *SAME* Workgroup. You should also change it from the default Workgroup name to a name of your own (which can be any one-word name you want).

How you configure your firewall software depends on which one you are using.

Tim1964 23:48 12 May 06

>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…