CONNECTING BT VOYAGER 210 ROUTER TO TP-LINK 8920G

anticks 19:37 07 May 09

Could you tell me please if I can connect my BT Voyager 210 router to work with my Tp-Link 8920G wireless router to access the internet. I have not dabbled in wireless networks before so I am not sure if this is the way to go, or do I need to just use the tp-link router? any help would br appreciated.

Tech Guy 21:26 07 May 09

Have just googled the Tp-Link 8920G and it seems it is ADSL2. Which means to you that you don't have to use the BT thing - makes your life a bit easier :)

ambra4 09:11 08 May 09

“Do I need to just use the tp-link router?”

Yes; disconnect the BT Voyager 210 router and connect the tp-link router to the phone line

Connect you computer to port 1 on the router and access the home page on the tp-link router via

your browser check the manual for the correct code and password and set it up to access your

ISP

In the wireless section

Make sure that the wireless is Enable

If you not going to use the wireless Disable it

You now have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address

3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network,

452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most

persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality

from other network close by using channel 11

Write it down; or save on a flash drive as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code

must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access the wireless system

You do not have to set-up the security system as yet

Save the setting and log out of router, make sure that you can access the router vie the wireless

device and browse the Internet first

If you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system

or allow access to the Internet

ambra4 09:12 08 May 09

Laptop Wireless Device Setting

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card Antenna

Check that the wireless card is Enable/Disable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

If not sure if laptop have a antenna switch check the manual PC layout quick guide

Check out these site before you setup the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

click here

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

Question said by first time user of ADSL Wireless Broadband

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps, the wireless system connect speed

at 1Mbps -54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the Local Area Network Connection

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless on the same PC connect at the same time.

As this can causes conflict within the router

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older

laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

Using a build in normal wireless card or adapter to connect to a 108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps,

wireless router will only connect at 54Mbps

You must buy a separate108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps, USB adapter or PCI card for each

wireless device you want to connect at that speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…