Connecting Broadband

tooter 11:53 04 Apr 04

My telephone exchange is converting to Broadband in the next few weeks. I am a complete novice were Broadband is concerned and hope you can answer a few questions which I expect are quite obvious but I would be grateful if you could bear with me and supply me a few answers.
1.Do I have to call BT to connect my telephone line or is it connected automatically when the exchange is converted and I just plug in my Broadband Modem.
2.What happens to my existing Modem, dial up software, settings and ISP. Do I remove these or do I leave them on the computer.
3.What happens to my current email address can I still receive and send mail, or will I be given a new address even If I use the same ISP provider as before.
4.Why is there such a wide variation in prices for Broadband I have seen £15 to £45, is better to go for the more expensive one.
5.Can you recommend a supplier for general home use, which is reliable, economical and secure.
6.Is there a site, which gives you step by step instructions how to convert to Broadband answering some of the more fundamental and not just general questions.
7.Is there anything else I need to consider before installing Broadband.
Thanks very much

gingerfox 12:01 04 Apr 04

every thing was done for me automatically i myself a complete novice didnt know what to do i just got in touch with the supplier and told them i wanted broadband i was told to sit back and wait and dont be scared to ask any question on pc advisor theres alot of people out there helped me and probably saved me money

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:22 04 Apr 04

1) All the paperwork will be done by your chosen ISP..sit back and wait for your modem.

2) You can leave them on the computer but you might as well delete them.

3)You will still be able to receive mail on your addy but it is unlikely that it will be transferred...no harm in asking though. Email the great unwashed when you have your new addy, they will soon get the hang.

4) There are different BB speeds from 128k to 2Mb. 512k seems to be the most popular and should be around £25/month for 24/7 connection.

5) ALL BB goes through BT so the choice of supplier is somewhat moot. I use Tiscali and find them spot-on but others think they are the spawn of the devil and his evil Imps. Pipex, Freeserve, Virgin...take yer choice...it may be better to stick with your current ISP though, saves all the boring bank details bit.

6)The site is here! Converting is soooo easy.

You will receive a modem and 2 filters. Stick filter in phone socket..connect phone and modem to filter. Place software disk in computer and follow instructions. Connect modem to USB socket when directed. Enter email addy and password when asked. Bob's yer uncle, Sally's yer aunt..you will now be connected. That is ALL there is.

7) No.

G

AndyJ 12:22 04 Apr 04

Have a look here click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:26 04 Apr 04

7) well, maybe....if you are using the intenet just for surfing 128k BB will be more than enough. A 512k connection will not increase surfing speed dramatically. 512k is OK especially if you are downloading/uploading. The 1Mb and 2Mb connections are for people who are gaming mad, downloading pirate programmes or are downloading industrial quantities of Lord of the Rings 3 ;-))....

When you connect the modem to a USB socket you should use a computer mounted one and not an extension USB socket.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:27 04 Apr 04

Traitor ;-))

G

fsbb 12:28 04 Apr 04

I have been with Freeserve since it started and had very few problems with this ISP. When I signed-up to BB (512 kbps) the modem arrived within a few days with clear instructions - install modem drivers > plug filters into phone sockets (a filter is needed in each socket that has a phone/fax etc plugged in. 2 came with modem, purchase more if needed)> plug modem into USB then wait for modem light to stop blinkin and to remain on (this indicates that BT has enabled the line - mine was enabled 24 hours after modem arrived). Connect for fast surfing.

The ISP does everything with BT, you just have to sign-up with ISP.

The cheaper packages, eg. tascali offer a slower speed and I know people who have had problems with such ISPs.

BB simply provides a means of connecting to internet. If you currently pay for your dial-up, cancel the pay package and convert it to pay as you go. Even if you get BB from your current ISP, it may not automatically cancel existing account. You keep same email address etc.

Camille 12:31 04 Apr 04

1.You are not automatically converted to Broadband. The ISP will check the line, and activate it once you have signed up for broadband and set up the ADSL modem
2.You replace your dial up modem with the ADSL modem. The settings will still be on your computer, but the default will be your broadband settings.
3.Because I upgraded to B/Band with my existing ISP, I just downgraded my unlimited dialup package to pay as you go, which allowed me to keep my existing email address – I can access it even though I connect via my B/B account.
4.You pay more for faster connections. If you just want to be able to receive phone calls when online and aren’t bothered about speed (for downloading or games) then go for the cheaper option.
5.There are plenty of sites which rate ISPs, try: click here
6.an large, your chosen ISP will provide you with information, hardware and installation advice. Setting up broadband is very easy.

Indigo 1 12:33 04 Apr 04

You usually get a disk which does most of the hard work for you like turning off your old modem and setting up your PC etc.

You can keep your e-mail address if you stay with the same ISP, web based mail accounts like Hotmail don't change.

In general the lower priced ADSL accounts have a lower speed but the more expensive accounts are mainly for people who are going to download huge files regularly like DVD's, so they are much faster.

Low priced accounts start with 128 kb download which is up to twice as fast as a dial-up (56 kb) then there is 256k and 512k. 512 is fast enough for most people, I use it myself and most of the time is about 10 times faster than dial up but occasionally can slow to half speed (still well fast enough) for a short time when others are online.

The higher speed 1Mb & 2Mb are faster still but for general browsing are unnecessary as I said they pay for themselves if you are downloading huge files regularly.

Have a look at click here

sam 12:42 04 Apr 04

'AOL broadband installation
Hi tooter.AOL the 1 for me.
no trouble setting broadband up the only thing is if you have trouble with the filters try different combinations. i had 3 filters in my box. only use one they say you have to have a filter on every phone but mine won`t work if i use more than one i have a 30ft extension plugged into my telephone socket in the hall,which goes into my bedroom a filter is plugged into that. The BB modem and a telephone and a backup 56k modem are plugged into the filter. everything works perfectly no hassle. I also have a phone in the living room no filter on that either. sam

IZZY 12:53 04 Apr 04

Tooter, Hi....

I would suggest you DON'T remove your dial-up modem. You may just have to use your dial up connection if your installation of BB doesn't go to plan and you want to access the Net to get (for example) updated drivers. Just leave it as it is. It wont do any harm or affect your BB connection.

Good Luck. You'll just love BB.

Regards,

IZZY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…