Connecting to AOL without using their software

CurlyWhirly 22:17 26 Jun 05

I am sure that someone posted an article on how to achieve this but I have lost the link so could anyone post a link on how to accomplish this as I have just found out that I can use Outlook Expres as my e-mail client in place of AOL's.

I *have* done a Google but the solutions I have found result in error messages like:

'Error 797. A connection to the remote computer could not be established due to the modem being busy or not found'

and also:

'Error 691. Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain'

I am using Windows XP Home with AOL 9 and a BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 22:21 26 Jun 05

p.s. I have NEVER tried connecting without the AOL software and what made me want to try it was seeing this article:

click here

daba 23:21 26 Jun 05

When I use AOL many, many moons ago, I was dissatisfied with the "tacky" appearance of their browser.

After connecting using the AOL application (yuk!), I simply started IE and continued my surfing from there.

It could be that this is still possible.....

CurlyWhirly 23:29 26 Jun 05

Thanks. Yes it is possible but I want to avoid all the bloatware as when I checked in Windows Task Manager the main AOL program file (WAOL.exe) is around 125 mb in length.

I would still have the 'bloatware' on my PC as it would still be there running in the background if I just minimized AOL 9.0 and used Firefox or Internet Explorer instead!

feb 23:32 26 Jun 05

"Right click" on the AOL icon in the system tray, then click "start AOL dialer"

ton 23:34 26 Jun 05

AOL icon in taskbar bottom right - Right click this, then left click 'Start AOL dialer'.

CurlyWhirly 23:35 26 Jun 05

Thanks. I don't have AOL 9.0 in my system tray.
By system tray I assume you mean windows taskbar?

ton 23:35 26 Jun 05

Snap

CurlyWhirly 23:39 26 Jun 05

I have just looked in MSconfig and I have disabled the entries: AOLdial.exe and AOL 9.0 tray icon so this could explain it.

feb 23:40 26 Jun 05

system tray is next to the clock

CurlyWhirly 23:41 26 Jun 05

Sorry I don't follow you as on my PC the clock is on the right hand side of the windows taskbar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…