connecting to aol with netgear dg834gt router

mantis1 17:15 25 Nov 05

i can connect to aol with the bt voyager 105 they gave me. but i have a netgear dg834gt router that i want to use with the wireless connection.they said they don't support that model.any tips how to get access.

paddy1949 08:28 26 Nov 05

Although it dosnt say it supports just follow the guide for the dg834g Im sure they will be very similsr in respect of setup and it is very easy to do / follow

daisy2bell 10:12 26 Nov 05

I'm on aol, and have a netgear which is not supported by aol. I installed and configured it as per instructions and all is ok.

mantis1 11:40 26 Nov 05

tried setting router up with guide for dg834g.but it will not connect to the router the computer.in network connections it just searches but dont connect also it just says automatic in the top corner of the box what does that mean.tried setting up with wpa and it connects to router but still not with aol it just say inialising dsl modem and thats as far as it gets. what can i try next

daisy2bell 14:48 27 Nov 05

I have copied the instructions for setting up wifi with aol Hope it helps:
I've had to send the message in 2 parts as it exceeds the words allowed per post

What are the essential settings for connecting to AOL?

When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details that govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the hardware you have, the way in which you enter these details may differ. However, you are likely to be prompted to enter them during the installation of your router and also a wireless adapter, should you choose to use a wireless setup.

Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these details. Therefore, you may not be prompted for them all. In other cases, the options will be named differently. If you experience problems setting up your chosen home networking solution, you should refer to the documentation included with the device.

Required Details:

Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0 Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
VCI: 38
Username: [email protected]
Password: youraolpassword

Please read these important guidelines about Screen Names and passwords used to configure a router to sign on to AOL.

Wireless Settings:
When configuring a wireless router, you may also be prompted for the following:

SSID: This is the 'name' of the router that you are using and is used by wireless adapters when they attempt to establish a connection.
WEP Key: The WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) key is the equivalent of a password on your router. Depending on your setup, it may be necessary to define one of these and ensure that any wireless adapters that connect to the router have the same key in their settings.
Network Type: There are a number of possible choices available here, but, if the option is available, you should choose Base Station.
MTU Setting: MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can transmit in one go across a network. The AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. Alternatively you may have to manually change the MTU setting on the modem router. If the router hardware does not have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the computer to 1400.

You can change the MTU setting on your computer by using DrTCP. This is a free software utility that is a shortcut to editing your registry. This is available at: click here.
MRU Setting: MRU (Maximum Routing Unit) is required by some modem routers and should be set to the same value as the MTU of 1400.
MSS Setting: MSS (Maximum Segment Size) is required by some modem routers and dynamically adjusts the packet size to fit the MTU. It should be set to 1360.

Are there special requirements for the Screen Name I use to set up my home network?

Yes. The Screen Name you use for configuring your router to sign on to AOL must follow the following guidelines to avoid technical problems with your connection:

You must enter the full Screen Name in lower case
You must add @aol.com after the Screen Name
The Screen Name must not contain any spaces
The Screen Name must have General (18+) access in
AOL Parental Controls (Mature Teen, Young Teen and
Kids Only Screen Names will not work for a router connection)

For example, if your current Screen Name is: FTG and HL24 The router setup for this Screen Name should be: [email protected]

We recommend that you create a new Screen Name for your router to connect to AOL. (If you use an existing Screen Name, then access AOL from a different location using that same Screen Name, your router will lose connection to the Internet.)

You can create a new Screen Name for this purpose at AOL Keyword:
Screen Names, making sure that it follows the above guidelines.

daisy2bell 14:49 27 Nov 05

2nd part AOL:

Setting up AOL to connect via a router on AOL 9.0

This article describes how to set up a router connection (using TCP/IP) on AOL version 9.0.

Step 1: Start AOL but do not sign on at this point. Instead, click Sign On Options on the AOL Sign-On screen.

Step 2: Click on Expert Setup.

Step 3: Click Add Location.

Step 4: Type a name for the location in the Location Name box -- for example, 'Router' -- then click Next.

Step 5: Choose Broadband (High-Speed, cable, DSL, or other ISP), then click Next.

Step 6: Tick Automatically reconnect me and ignore interruptions... then click Next.

Step 7: Select Automatic Connection, then click Next.

Step 8: Click Sign on to AOL now, then simply sign on to AOL as usual using any of your AOL Screen Names.

The next time you start the AOL software, you'll notice 'Router' (or whatever name you gave the location) is available as one of the options in the drop-down Location menu on the AOL Sign-On screen (see Step 1). This allows you to easily switch between using a router connection and a different connection (for example, a dial-up modem) if you wish.

mantis1 20:15 27 Nov 05

sorted it was a problem with norton security.thanks for the help though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…