Connecting another laptop to a WPA...HELP!

stephlsibley 00:11 26 Jan 08

Hey,

My parents had to change the configuration for our wireless network and got a professional in but now my laptop (sony vaio) cant connect because the network is security enabled. I have been given the password keys to log in to it but it only goes as far as 'acquiring the network address' could this be because I need register my IP address? We are using netgear hardware. I have heard words like 'host' computer and 'clients' but not sure if this is relevant to me? do all pc's connected to the network go through netgear or through one computer? if it is the latter could it be that I need to register my IP address with it? If so can anyone tell me how I do this and where I find the IP address? or maybe this isnt the problem at all?? I am not really sure so I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer as I have got to send an essay to uni by email ASAP and its stuck on my laptop!!
Thanks for reading,
Steph xx

setecio 10:07 26 Jan 08

mmm .... depends what the person did !

The easiest way is to find the ethernet cable that came in the Netgear box, plug it into the back of the Netgear unit, and the other end into the network port on the laptop. It should now connect via this wired option and is much simpler.

Otherwise you'll need a few hours or more to bring yourself up to sped on how wireless works !

Strawballs 20:58 27 Jan 08

If you connect via wire as suggested you could enter the routers setup which should be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser then you will need the password that should be setup then you can go to the security settings and look up what has been setup on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…