Connecting an Acer latop via VGA to Philips LCD ?

SANAP 17:03 09 Oct 09

I tried soemthing today for a friend that I thought would be easy but it wasn't. Here is the scenario. An acer laptop that in the manual shows a dvi output, s video, and vga. the philips LCD booklet says I can go DVI to HDMI but on checking the laptop is does not have the DVI outlet, a lower spec. OK I say we go VGA HDMI but in very small print the phillips says " does not support VGA connection"

Now can I go VGA to DVI converter with HDMI to HDMI? Will this work? I am lost with digital signals and analogue signals? I think VGA is analogue and HDMI is digital. So with the converter am I actually changing signal to digital?

Or another method may be VGA to component as the TV has component in?

The DVI converter is 100 euro plus the audio lead plus the hdmi. The component route may be a better option but would it work??

Or what is the best option?

I should have said the s video is a 7 pin connector.

Help.

sanap

ambra4 17:42 09 Oct 09

OK I say we go VGA HDMI”

You cannot just connect a laptop VGA port to a HDMI port on a HD TV

VGA is Analogue and HDMI is Digital.

You have to use a VGA to HDMI Converter

click here

“Or another method may be VGA to component as the TV has component in?”

Premium VGA to RCA Component Cable

click here

One thing to note is that most TVs only accept HDTV resolutions in the HDMI port.

If you send a non standard resolution it will either not display it, or the screen will scale

the image to 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

SANAP 18:01 09 Oct 09

many thanks for quick reply. That link for vga converter is spot on and a lot cheaper and it looks as if it is the same item here in Ireland for 110 euro.Am I right that in order to get sound he needs to plug into the headphone socket and needs a lead headphone jack to 2 phonos?? or a Y gadget?

As an aside if he changes the screen resolution on the laptop will that be output via vga and then coveterted by the lcd its native resolution? say 1266 x 768 to get a better picture. I think he is on 800 x 600 at present.

sanap

ambra4 18:36 09 Oct 09

Both cable available from this company

VGA/SVGA to 3 RCA Component Cable

click here

“Am I right that in order to get sound he needs to plug into the headphone socket and needs a lead headphone jack to 2 Phono”

Yes to get sound from the laptop he need a 3.5mm Jack to 2x RCA Phono Cable

click here

“As an aside if he changes the screen resolution on the laptop will that be output via the VGA port”

Yes the screen resolution on the laptop is shown via the VGA port and the laptop screen

Once you have connected the VGA cable to the TV you now have to set up the laptop to access the external display

Using the “FN” key (Function) and the “CRT/LCD” key look at the top of keyboard “F” keys

Hold down the FN key and press the CRT/LCD key once

Display will change as follows: -

Press once laptop display only

Press again external display only

Press again both laptop and external display

You must hold down the FN key each time you press the CRT/LCD key

You have to set the laptop to show both laptop and external displays, if set to external

display only, the display will default back to the laptop display every time you power on

or reboot the laptop

Depending in the size of the monitor you will have to adjust the screen resolution for the

display to fill the monitor screen

Right click on windows Desktop – Properties - Setting and change the screen resolution to

the correct size

SANAP 19:47 09 Oct 09

Wow, getting there, the TV is a 26" Phillips LCD about 4 years old, it shows a graphic how to connect computer using DVI and it does say VGA not supported. It has 2 HDMI slots and component.

The laptop is uisng Vista Home premium and I must admit I am stuck on xp pro. I tried clicking on the desktop for settings and got nothing!! I did manage to change the time on the nice clockface but thats now wrong!!

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced