Connecting 98 to broadband, i can't....

Kitz E Kat 22:30 18 Jul 03

Hi i have a broadband line i,ve been unable to connect Win98 SE to it, i hooked up 2000 and XP with no trouble , used the same settings in 98, but ain't gettin nothin but "unable to connect server",very helpfull!!!!
Any ideas,
Kitz E Kat

recap 22:37 18 Jul 03

Does the program disc support W98se?

Kitz E Kat 22:46 18 Jul 03

When you say "does the program disk support 98 SE i assume your taklking about a installation disk for the modem, right??
If that's the case then , ehh,,
Here's the read
i got the modem, set it up on my main XP 'puter,
and now am able to hook my other computers withh out any installation disk, the setup is on the modem itself, so say for 2000, all i did was

Ste internet connection > connect through a LAN> enable Automatic discovery of Proxy server> Enable auto dis of DNS server etc and Bingo, am workin on a 2000 machine i just set like so .
Same also holds for the Mac, no installation disk is needed once the Modem is setup.
I have applied exactly the same settings in 98 SE but nothin
Kitz E Kat

pj123 22:50 18 Jul 03

What do you mean "I have a broadband line?" Who supplied it? Is it connected to a cable set top box? Do you have a broadband modem? Do you have a setup CD?

Kitz E Kat 22:58 18 Jul 03

Line supplied by telecom provider, like BT.
Yop have a BB modem
Have setup CD, which i ran, as far as i can make out the setup is done on the modem, and need be only done once, i then am connectiong via a crossover cable.

Like i've connected several OS's without using a setup CD on any , as i just done on this 2000 box.

Is it a case that there is ' something missing' in 98 that 2000 , XP, and OS X has ??

Its a bit odd??
Kitz E Kat

jazzypop 02:20 19 Jul 03

Do you have a firewall on the 98 PC?

Kitz E Kat 09:13 19 Jul 03

No , nothin its a clean install.
To make things worse, its a triple boot box, 98,2000 and XP.
I am as i said able to connect 2000 , and XP, hey its a doddle! Even a Kat could do it.

But not 98, i might add that i got an old lapper running 98 and could not get it to connect either, ditched 98 and upped if to 2000, and had it online in seconds.

It has to be a 98 related thing, don't it????

Kitz E Kat

steven_frost 09:37 19 Jul 03

Windows 2000 and XP are very different from win 98 the best thing you can do is us the software from the disk

graham√ 09:43 19 Jul 03

Maybe the 98 does not auto-detect in the same way as the others, and needs a network to be configured manually. Looking on my 95, in programs, Accessories, Direct Cable Connection, you may find the means to do it.

jazzypop 14:56 19 Jul 03

In W98, go to Control Panel > Internet Connections > LAN Settings and Untick the 'Automatic discovery of Proxy Settings'.

You may have to reboot.

Failing that, go to your ISP's Help pages, look up and enter the DNS settings, rather than use the 'Automatic DNS'.

Kitz E Kat 21:46 19 Jul 03

Thanks will try that, My ISP's help pages are as usefull as a raincoat in Barbados!!!
I guess i could ring them @ 70 c (about £0.50) a minuite forget it. This aint a critical thing, i can live without 98 on the BB line , just playing around, as you do!,and its wreaking my head.

Oh yeah , i ,for the hell of it tried an old copy of NT4, guess what ? No problem, on the net in minuites.

This thing will be cracked yet...
Thanks all
Kitz E Kat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…