Connecting 2 W2K PC's

The BB 19:16 20 Mar 04

Have a works machine (not administrator on this) and home machine both running Windows 2000.
Connected with a cross over cable and can see each other (ping OK both on IP address and name).
BUT
How do I log on to back up files? (all the bumpf I find is XP related).

If I try and use ftp, the open command from the work machine gives (using IP address or name):
"ftp: connect :Connection refused"
From home machine same if I use the name, but if I use the IP address:
"ftp: connect :Connection timed out"

Help please as I am fed up using CD's to mutually back up and access data.

spikeychris 19:30 20 Mar 04

Easiest way is to just connect to the machine via the run command. Just type the name of the machine into run and hit enter. It would look something like this >>

One machine is called "lap1" and the other machine is called "thisone"

Go to run and type "\\lap1" hit enter. Once you have connected (you will have to type the access password and user name) just include c$...so it would look like this \\lap1\c$

The above assumes you share the C drive and it has a name of c$

Chris

The BB 19:38 20 Mar 04

Just tried "\\Home" and "\\Work203" (computers names), but get "The Filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" from both machines.

If I add "\\Home\d" I get "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

If I use "\\Work203\c" I get "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

Can you maybe expand on the "c$", and as I will be using the name/password do I need to set up any shares?

Thanks

spikeychris 20:05 20 Mar 04

You need the name of the PC..the computer name.

spikeychris 20:06 20 Mar 04

Sorry just noticed they are the names

spikeychris 20:08 20 Mar 04

You need to make sure that the drive is being shared. The C$ is the standard name for a shared drive, you will have to check the drive name and share name.

The BB 21:03 20 Mar 04

on the Home machine D$ is shared, but, work laptop still has "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request" after "\\home\d$"

temp003 03:42 21 Mar 04

click here and check each step for configuring each computer. You may need to log on in an account with Administrator privileges to take some of the steps.

The BB 09:34 21 Mar 04

From Work still get "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

From the Home to work machine, My Network Place -> Add Network Place "\\Work203\c$" click finish and then asks for username/password, which I enter and still get refused!

The BB 20:18 22 Mar 04

SpikeyChris/temp003
Thanks for the help.
A day at work obviously warmed up the grey cell. I can now map a drive from the works laptop onto \\Home\c$ and \\Home\d$, and as long as I log onto Home as Administrator then Work can see all the Home machine and I can copy files back and forth.
Must be permissions (or the fact that Work has a named domain I log onto) that mean I can't go the other way (only a Power User on Work).

... but at least I have connection and now need to sort out how to use Briefcase...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos