connecting 2 printers to 1 computer

zolaisugly 18:35 14 Feb 03

i want to connect 2 printers to my pc i know i can use a data switch but after looking on net i am now more confused as to what i need...i dont mind it either man or auto..just need to now what spec i need to look at.. the printers are both paralell type one is a hp deskjet the other a citizen ribbon printer used for accounts.my pc spec is celeron 333mkz p2 with 60gig drive 256ram running win 98se.i am not looking for an expensive make just a good cheap-middle of the road model.also how do they connect to data switch..

woodchip 18:42 14 Feb 03

I use a basic manual switch with a Samsung ML-4500 Laser and a Epson 680 printer, but if you have an HP printer I would suggest you get Bi-Directional Cables

woodchip 18:44 14 Feb 03

PS switch cost about a £10 from Comp Fair Cables £2.50 each

faintly curious 18:45 14 Feb 03

Another (and pretty cheap) option, would be to add a second printer port to your PC if you have a spare PCI slot available. That way there would be no need for switching.

woodchip 18:54 14 Feb 03

A PCI port is nearly as dear as buying a printer about £45 in PC world, on the other hand a ISA is only £10

woodchip 18:58 14 Feb 03

AS you seem to have an old system you may have got an ISA slot, if you have I would go for that has you could use both printers at the same time. No separate drivers are required as Windows will load plug & play

zolaisugly 19:06 14 Feb 03

woodchip thaks for advice... i do have isa slots..but what is a bi directional cable and what does it do.... i am new to all this sorry for being a bit thick

woodchip 19:21 14 Feb 03

Bi-Di Cable means that data can travel in both directions, necessary for HP printers

zolaisugly 19:24 14 Feb 03

ius a bi di the same as a normal printer cable or not.if it is not the same will it still fit a parallel printer port

woodchip 19:28 14 Feb 03

They both fit parallel printer port's, but if it's a one way data it may not work with your printer. You need to ask when you get one they look the same

zolaisugly 19:31 14 Feb 03

thanks very much for help woodchip there is a computer fair in a couple of wks time and will look and ask them...many thx again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…