Connecting 2 pc's just for sharing?

movementz 12:03 30 Dec 05

Hi, I know alot of people discuss this on here and have read alot of posts on it, but most people seem to want to share their internet connection. I dont, I just want to transfer files from one pc to another.

The main pc has Win2k advanced server and the other xp pro sp2. I have network cards in both pc's and have a crossover rj45 cable.

What I dont understand is what I must do to get them talking to each other. I've read about the setup network in xp, but cant seem to find anything like that in 2k?

Can someone help me please?

mgmcc 13:49 30 Dec 05

If you are not using "Internet Connection Sharing", which automatically sorts out the IP addressing, then you need to allocate fixed IP addresses in the TCP/IP settings for your network adapters.

The most commonly used address ranges used for Local Area Networks are the 192.168.x.x ones, so give your two PCs the IP addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 with the *SAME* Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 As there is no internet involved, you don't need to enter Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses.

Ensure the two PCs have individual names but are in the *SAME* Workgroup.

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers and this is normally done by adding their IP addresses in the "trusted" area.

At least one folder in each PC should be set as "shared" in its Properties to get the two PCs talking.

With Windows 2000 and XP Professional, you will almost certainly have to be logged into both computers with *identical* Usernames/Passwords to be able to communicate over the network.

movementz 19:17 30 Dec 05

ok, I'll give it a go thanks alot, happy new year! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…