Connecting 2 PCs to the internet at the same time.

wednesday 13 20:49 18 May 05

I have 2 computers, one 98 and one Xp, As there are two people living in the same house and frequently use the internet, I was wondering if it was possible to get both up to the internet, at the same time AND through the same phone line connection.

I have the connection cables and a 3 way adapter for the phone and both connections. I would prefer to connect WITHOUT wireless conection.

Nelmon2k 21:14 18 May 05

If both of your computers have a network port you can use a crossover network cable. You can then enable internet connection sharing on the PC's and then you will be able to use the internet at the same time.

wednesday 13 21:37 18 May 05

How do I do that?

Do I just plug the internet cable instead of in the phone line but the second internet port?

Nelmon2k 21:57 18 May 05

You will need a ethernet port in each of the computers you are using. You should then put your phone cable into one of the computers that is likely to be on for the majority of the time. This means however that if your other pc is not on you will not be able to access the internet. You should then put the cat5 crossover cable into both of your computers ethernet ports. When you have done this set the IPS on one of them to be and on the other. Set the subnet masks as . This will allow you to access each others computers and be connected. To set up internet access run the network setup wizard on the XP computer and run it though the processses it asks. Good luck.

Strawballs 00:28 19 May 05

If the internet is connected through the XP machine just join the 2 machines together with crossover cable as previously described then go to control panel on XP machine and run network wizard and when it asks if you wish to setup internet connection shareing click on yes and follow instructions and it will also ask you to make a floppy which you run on the 98 machine which will be configured.

mgmcc 11:01 19 May 05

To create a wired network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing:

Install a Network Adapter in each PC (if not already installed) and connect them directly with a "crossover" CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

With “Internet Connection Sharing”, when you enable this on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address and subnet mask If you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or [i]“ICS”[/i] traffic will be blocked. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”.

This will also allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network. If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.

wednesday 13 16:03 19 May 05

Can I get a crossover cable in the shops?

TomJerry 18:13 19 May 05

but, check to make sure you have network (Lan, ethernet) connector ports first

if you want to buy stuff cheaply, you can try ebuyer (NOT Ebay) click here

wednesday 13 20:18 19 May 05

1) Is the crossover cable just like a dial up cable but just with both ends with the small bit that plugs into the computer?

2) Do I connect both computers through the port with the picture of the three computers?

3) After the fist restart of the windows 98 computer, an error occured during the installation. Do I have to restart the installation and how, restart the whole process with that computer or will it be fine?

wednesday 13 20:31 19 May 05

Would it be eaaier ti install Xp on the windows 98 PC and run it on that instead or will that cause problems or have no effect what so ever?

wednesday 13 20:32 19 May 05

sorry about the speeling mistakes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…