Connecting 2 PC,s for Internet access

Petewaka 11:41 03 Jan 05

Just purchased new desktop PC and would like to have Internet access for both old and new PC,s.
I have broadband cable modem connected to my old PC at the moment, can someone explain what my options are to achieve this, also if this is possible will both PC,s be able to surf the net independently at the same time.
One last point, what about viruses and spyware, could 1 PC infect the other if both connected.
Info on the above would be greatly appreciated.

TomJerry 12:43 03 Jan 05

Ebuyer 4 Port Cable/DSL Broadband Router with Print server £15.27 click here

connect your modem with this router's uplink (via ethernet cable) and both PC connect to this router's downlins via Ethernet.

If your PCs have not got any Ethernet (Lan) connection port, you need to fit a PCI network adaptor: Ebuyer 10/100 Network Card with wake on Lan - Retail Box £2.50 click here.

If you do not want to open up PC to fit network adaptor, you can get a USB version: Dynamode USB 10/100 Rj45 Adapter £6.96 click here.

The ethernet cable is called "Cat5e" cable, you can get from ebuyer as well, very cheap.

Since two PC access net independently, the virus/spyware defence should be installed on both PC.

Petewaka 21:00 03 Jan 05

Thanks TomJerry for the info, you've been a great help.

Gaz 25 22:55 03 Jan 05

reading my guide at: click here

Hope it is of help!

Regards,
Gaz 25

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…