Connecting 2 PCs with a crossover cable

Grahame-255397 10:07 05 Jun 05

I have just bought a Belkin crossover cable from Amazon (best price I could find), expecting naively to be able to just connect 2 USB ports and away we go. Not so of course!
What do I need to do please? Neither machine has a network card installed but I didn't think you needed these with a crossover cable. I also didn't think you needed a hub.

An idiot's guide to what I should do much appreciated!!

ACOLYTE 10:14 05 Jun 05

For a crossover cable you will need an ethernet card in each pc to connect it too,i not sure you do need a usb hub either as the cable as far as i know does not have usb connections on it.

Joe R 10:45 05 Jun 05

sidman,

you will need two of these, and they are inexpensive. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:09 05 Jun 05
  Joe R 11:16 05 Jun 05

and another.

click here

SEASHANTY 11:23 05 Jun 05

You will also need a spare PCI slot in each PC to fit the PCI Ethernet cards. Some PC's have a direct ethernet connection on the main connection Panel at rear. My PC's all use this socket for connection to
internet.

Curio 12:00 05 Jun 05

a Trust USB2 Easy File Transfer Cable will do the job as you originally thought
click here

wotbus@ 12:30 05 Jun 05

Sidman - you did install the software ? If the 2 PC's are modern they probably have the necessary cards fitted and it's just like you thought - you just connect the cable usb/usb after installing the s/w then launch the program by clicking on Superlink or whatever the brand name is.

wotbus@ 12:34 05 Jun 05

Sorry - just re-read your post and noted you don't have cards fitted but for a USB connection I don't think they are required. They are of course, if you intend to connect at the back of the PC [via the card].

Grahame-255397 17:34 05 Jun 05

Many thanks for all the help. Plenty for me to chew on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…