Connecting 2 PCs with a crossover cable

  Grahame-255397 10:07 05 Jun 05

I have just bought a Belkin crossover cable from Amazon (best price I could find), expecting naively to be able to just connect 2 USB ports and away we go. Not so of course!
What do I need to do please? Neither machine has a network card installed but I didn't think you needed these with a crossover cable. I also didn't think you needed a hub.

An idiot's guide to what I should do much appreciated!!

  ACOLYTE 10:14 05 Jun 05

For a crossover cable you will need an ethernet card in each pc to connect it too,i not sure you do need a usb hub either as the cable as far as i know does not have usb connections on it.

  Joe R 10:45 05 Jun 05


you will need two of these, and they are inexpensive. click here

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:09 05 Jun 05
  Joe R 11:16 05 Jun 05

and another.

click here

  SEASHANTY 11:23 05 Jun 05

You will also need a spare PCI slot in each PC to fit the PCI Ethernet cards. Some PC's have a direct ethernet connection on the main connection Panel at rear. My PC's all use this socket for connection to

  Curio 12:00 05 Jun 05

a Trust USB2 Easy File Transfer Cable will do the job as you originally thought
click here

  wotbus@ 12:30 05 Jun 05

Sidman - you did install the software ? If the 2 PC's are modern they probably have the necessary cards fitted and it's just like you thought - you just connect the cable usb/usb after installing the s/w then launch the program by clicking on Superlink or whatever the brand name is.

  wotbus@ 12:34 05 Jun 05

Sorry - just re-read your post and noted you don't have cards fitted but for a USB connection I don't think they are required. They are of course, if you intend to connect at the back of the PC [via the card].

  Grahame-255397 17:34 05 Jun 05

Many thanks for all the help. Plenty for me to chew on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes