Connecting 2 PCs.

Meshuga 21:49 25 Mar 04

I have read in a publication on Win XP that a simple connection can be made between 2 pcs that are "near to each other" using a crossover cable
and that no hub or router would be required as long as it was limited to 2 pcs. Connection would be between the 2 ethernet connections. Being the sceptic that I am, that seems too simple.Is there anything else I need to look out for or do.Also,how "near each other" is "near". I want to connect 2 pcs that are in adjoining rooms with the cable going through the dividing wall. Would they be too far apart. Both PCs have XP Home and I am on Broadband. Any advice welcome please. Meshuga.

Diodorus Siculus 21:51 25 Mar 04

What you read is correct; but I don't know how long the cable can be... I have done it with a 5metre cable an it works fine.

Meshuga 22:04 25 Mar 04

Many thanks, 5 Metres should well cover me as they will be back to back. Since U do not mention anything else I take it that all i need is the cable. Regards, Meshuga.

Diodorus Siculus 22:05 25 Mar 04

Yes, two network ports and a crossover cable. I got a guy at university to give me the cable which he made up but I presume that you can buy them easily enough.

SEASHANTY 22:14 25 Mar 04

Crossover cables
click here

woodchip 22:31 25 Mar 04

You can get a USB bridging Cable with software, that needs to be loaded on both computers, this allows you to share files about £16 from a Computer Fair. You do not need any networking experiance. Like click here

JerryJay 00:16 26 Mar 04

If you still do not believe, have a look on homenethelp click here, a lot of examples and instructions there.

revingtosh 00:54 26 Mar 04

Hi there!

With ethernet (which you should have). You can run a cable up to nearly 100metres in length without a repeater.

Cheers,

rev

gregori 02:04 26 Mar 04

What is being described is a "Peer to Peer" network system. I gather that one can connect up to 12 PC's in this way. I have sucessfully tried it with 4. With the old coaxial BNC cable it's easy to set up. Otherwise as mentioned above you will need a "crossover" cable where two of the connections have been, well, crossed over.

spuds 02:14 26 Mar 04

Some networking info here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017