Connecting 2 computers using a modem?

adamdavid 16:31 23 May 04

This might be a silly question but is it possible to connect two computers to each other using their modems? I was interested in connecting my laptop (running Win XP Home) to my parent's desktop (running Win 98) and wondered if this was possible. I mainly want to do it so I can transfer files between the two computers on a very occasional basis, but mainly I'm curious to know if it is possible. I don't want to try it myself in case I damage one or both computers.

Stuartli 16:37 23 May 04

It is possible - in fact XP provides the means to do so with Remote Assistance.

You could also use LapLink or similar type utility.

My daughter lives in the Caribbean and my son is able to sort out any of her laptop problems using LapLink as if he was actually in front of her machine.

I'm assuming that you are talking about two computers which are based a considerable distance apart, otherwise there are other methods and without using a modem.

Fruit Bat 16:41 23 May 04

I don't think this is possible in the way you mean i.e desktop direct to laptop via modem. However you could transfer files via the internet if small enough.
I mess about with mine and found the easiest / cheapest way for ocasional file transfer was to purchase a card and card reader unit espescialy as I could also use the card in a camera.

adamdavid 19:10 23 May 04

Actually, the two computers would be situated a couple of feet apart. My laptop has a network port, but the desktop doesn't. I don't really want to connect my laptop to the internet to transfer files, as I want to keep it free from spam, junk, viruses, worms, spyware and other such annoyances.

The connection I was curious about was a modem cable running from one modem straight into the other one. If it was possible, it would also allow me to connect to my sisters desktop, which doesn't have internet access.

adamdavid 19:11 23 May 04

Actually, the two computers would be situated a couple of feet apart. My laptop has a network port, but the desktop doesn't. I don't really want to connect my laptop to the internet to transfer files, as I want to keep it free from spam, junk, viruses, worms, spyware and other such annoyances.

The connection I was curious about was a modem cable running from one modem straight into the other one. If it was possible, it would also allow me to connect to my sisters desktop, which doesn't have internet access.

Gemma 21:56 23 May 04

Modem to modem is possible but you would need a line simulator to match impedences and provide dial and ring simulation, and ... and .....
If you just want an occasional connection then if both PC's have bidirectional parallel ports it can done. If both have serial ports and you have a "null modem" cable it can done. All the above are the hard ways. The cheapest is to buy a crossover 10BaseT LAN cable and put a network card in the desk-top and connect the two using the laptop's XP wizard to set it up. Would cost about £15. Lastly, if both have USB ports, get a USB thumb drive that comes with a W98 driver and use that. Costs about £30.

Stuartli 10:14 24 May 04

As you have XP on one of the machines you can use the built-in Networking capabilities.

If you go to Help and Support (XP) you will find all the information about networking your machines and also using them on the Internet with a single ISP connection (ICS).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…