Connecting 2 computers - ad-hoc (peer to peer)

nick35 21:41 08 Mar 04

Hello

I have purchased 2 d link dwl-g520 cards to connect 2 computers (both on XP) using an ad hoc wireless connection. Both are fitted & I have configured them using the windows wizard. The 2 computers seem to be connected,the computer icon flashes & states that the network is connected etc. However I cannot get either computer to send or receive any files or my broadband. I have checked a number of files in the shared file folder but still nothing

Any ideas

Thanks

LastChip 21:46 08 Mar 04

Make sure any Firewall on both computers is disabled for the moment, until your network is operating properly.

Please confirm they are off.

temp003 06:32 09 Mar 04

click here and check all the steps.

As lastchip states, almost all of the problems with networking, especially with XP arise from third-party firewalls. Turn them off, run network setup wizzard and then turn them back on again. If you use Norton Firewall then run the networking wizzard and it will find the adaptor and configure it.

nick35 23:00 09 Mar 04

Thanks for that, I can now share files but not my internet connection. The icon in network connections says that it is shared but it is not. I am using BT Broadband & XP. I also have Norton firewall & system works

LastChip 00:02 10 Mar 04

click here to learn how to set-up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

nick35 13:57 12 Mar 04

Thanks

I have the internet (gateway) icon on the second computer. How do I actually use it from the second computer.

The icon only opens the 'status' of the internet connection

nick35 14:00 12 Mar 04

Thanks

I have the internet icon on the second computer showing it is connected to the first computer.

How do I actually 'use' it. When I open the file (icon) it only shows the status. I can see nothing that actually allows me to use the internet from the second computer

nick35 14:00 12 Mar 04

Thanks

I have the internet icon on the second computer showing it is connected to the first computer.

How do I actually 'use' it. When I open the file (icon) it only shows the status. Ican see nothing taht actually allows me to use the internet from the second computer

nick35 14:02 12 Mar 04

Thanks

How do I actually 'use' it. When I open the file (icon) it only shows the status. Ican see nothing taht actually allows me to use the internet from the second computer

medicine hat 14:13 12 Mar 04

Have you set the default gateway on the 2nd pc as the IP address of the pc actually connected to the internet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…