Connecting 2 computers

Meshuga 19:28 08 Mar 04

I have 2 computers,one in one bedroom and one in a second bedroom.I have applied for broadband and installed an external adsl modem in one PC.
Can I install a similar modem in the other PC and use that on BB provided only one PC is on or can I use the second machine as Dialup pay as you go.
The BB will be with Metronet and the pay as you go
will be with my present isp which is tiscaly.
Is this a practical proposition? or is there another way?.

recap 19:37 08 Mar 04

click here it may help you?

phredd 19:42 08 Mar 04

Have you considered networking the two computers? All you need is a network card in each one (they are now very cheap and you might even have the facility already in your computers if they are relatively new) and a length of cable with RJ45 connectors on each end. The software to run networking is built in to your OS and can be set up fairly easily. That way you have the benefit of having access to all the software and programs on both computers from either one.

Meshuga 20:01 08 Mar 04

Thanks recap. Will study your suggestion when time permits.
Thanks phredd.Will study your suggestion too. Both pcs are new,in the lst 6months, and both have XP Home installed.Being a comparative novice
I dont have sufficient knowledge to do this but I would have to get some assistance from friends.I will certainly look into it though. Thanks to both of you for your help. will leave this run for a while. Regards, Meshuga.

anniesboy68 20:29 08 Mar 04

phredd.....What cable does one ask for if, for instance, I go down to Maplins Electronics and purchase two RJ45 connectors and some cable, please. Then, is it a matter of connecting the connectors to the networking cards, and, of course sorting out the software. I have XP so I am assuming its on. Please excuse the elementary questions but I'm not into all this yet.

leo49 20:42 08 Mar 04

Not phredd but I did this recently and it was all quite easy in the end.You can buy readymade crossover cables quite inexpensively in varying lengths from any PC component supplier. Check your mobo manuals for as phredd said more and more mobos have onboard LANs these days so it's simply a matter of plugging in the cable and configuring the Network with the Windows wizard.

anniesboy68 21:16 08 Mar 04

leo49... Ok, thanks. I have a 1394net adapter in each cptr. Is that the card required to connect the cable too, please. Then, how does my NTL Broadband modem come into it, as my main cptr is connected to it via the card.

SEASHANTY 21:25 08 Mar 04

Another website giving advice on basic networking is from Linksys
click here

SEASHANTY 21:31 08 Mar 04

The above link only works if using Internet Explorer
browser. NTL Broadband cable modem networking is explained in detail on robin walkers website. He covers both NTL and Telewest cable broadband.
click here

leo49 21:36 08 Mar 04

1394net adapter is no good,I think.Just Firewire connector.

click here

As for cable - I'll get my coat..... :o)

I'm sure some NTL punter will be along to help you out.

SEASHANTY 21:39 08 Mar 04

A 1394 net adaptor is a firewire connection. It doesn't seem to be a popular way of networking two PC's. The best way with NTL BB is ethernet and using a router to facilitate net connection from
PC's individually. Must confess I had not heard of a 1394 net adaptor until checked this website
click here
. Use a Linksys BEFSR41 (non wireless) router to connect both my PC's to the internet using NTL standalone cable modem with a 600k connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…